Fuel Issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sad209

Reaction score
I have a 1985 F-150 XLT and am getting 9 mpg on my fuel mileage. This can't be normal.

I am attempting to find a replacement heat riser to possibly combat the problem.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Shawn

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Assuming it has a carburetor (not fuel injection), you can cover the basics, like tune-up, PCV, fuel filter and air filter. A K&N filter may help get up to 1 mpg more. I don't know how much the heat riser actually helps, but I believe the stock air cleaner housing is very restrictive, and an open element air cleaner may help, too, if allowed. Overhauling the carb and using a rebuild kit with new gaskets may help if the carb is at fault, like it's running too rich. 10-12 mpg is about normal, and it helps to keep your right foot off the floor. The harder you drive the Bronco, the less the gas mileage will be.

Ktomek06

Reaction score
Totally agree randy,

You might also wanna check out some aftermarket mods to help mpg. Exhaust Mods, FIPK, Air Filter, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow_D

Reaction score
I swear by full synthetic oils, motor, tranny, F & R diffs and Transfer case. If you have any leaks DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OIL!

Also you can try using a higher octane fuel. I was only putting 87 octane in my 90 and was only able to get 8.5 - 9.3 MPG. I started to use the higher octane and my mileage went up to 10 - 10.5 MPG. and that is without using synthetic oils (I am changing everything over on Monday) so I will let you know what the difference is.

OP
OP
S

sad209

Reaction score
A few more details:

I am running a 1985 F-150 XLT, with a 351, and a two barrel Motorcraft carb.

I was hoping to be able to put a Holley Throttle Body Injection kit on it, but I don't know if there is one that will work on my truck since it is a semi-computerized.

I guess my biggest question is what is the best order to do do things in to improve my gas mileage? I already need a new exhaust system, so that is somewhere at the top of the list.

10 to 12 mpg is not the best it can do is it? Can't get towards 15?

I am in California so most mods have MANY restrictions...

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Other states are now doing smog testing (including some places here in Texas), so you do have to be aware of what mods you can do, what parts are C.A.R.B. exempt or approved, and so on. With the stock 2-bbl, you should around get 8-10 mpg city, 12-15 mpg highway. The Bronco weighs nearly 6000 pounds, and even the 351W is low on HP (139HP for the 1985). You will get the best mileage with a properly-tuned engine, so that's where I focus most of my work. Regular tune-ups, filter changes, fluids, etc. are essential. A minor vacuum leak, misfire or electrical problem all rob you of power and mileage. If you modify the engine for more power, start with the exhaust system. Many older trucks have clogged catalytic converters, and much of the emissions equipment is not working. My approach has been to keep as much of the pollution control as feasible, both for cleaner air and passing inspection. I have repaired most of the original items, even some that are discontinued. I don't advise removing all of the emissions stuff and the cats, but am pleased with the Flowmaster muffler.

Whew, I'm winded!!! New exhaust, engine tuning, good driving habits to get best mileage.

ron753

Reaction score
might be a good idea to check the oxygen sensor, and also have the timeing checked if the timeing is to fast or to slow it will decrease your miliage

Seabronc

Reaction score
What size tires are you running? What is the gear ratio for your rearend? There is a a great "gas milage vs performance chart" in the 80's Bronco parts catalog on the Bronco Graveyard site. You might want to look at it. Also, don't forget that if you change tire diameter size you need to change the speedo gear to accurately display speed and milage. You probably aren't going to get 15, but every litter bit counts. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Raven

Reaction score
after driving my Bronco on my move from MI to VA then to texas this is the kind of milage I got. marquette MI to Northbranch MI 15.2MPG North Branch to Ohio Turnpike 15.1 MPG plus a broken belt tensioner pully. ohio turnpike to Tazwell VA 15.2 even going through the mountians in WVa. from Tazwell VA to nashville TN 17.2 MPG ??? WOW .. Nashville to Little Rock AK 15.6. Little rock to Dallas 15.5 and dallas to austin 15.4... and this was from getting 10MPG a couple of months ago withthe only big thing I have done was a new fuel pressure regulater.. I have a 94 Bronco eddie bauer 5.8 liter. 31X10.50 3.50 gear ratio all stock minus the missing cat converter... and the exhust that I need to replace some time in the near future to get ti legal in Texas... lol ..

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
Belive it or not...The 2 BBL carb is hurting you also. The primaries on a 4 BBL carb are smaller, therefore you use less gas. This happened to me on a '79 truck I had, Nothing but an intake , and Holley 600 increased fuel milage by 6 miles per gallon.

I now drive a '89 EB Bronco, and around town 10-12 MPG is normal. On the interstate 15 is possible.

These trucks are gas hogs. Why do you think they come with a 33 gallon tank?

dicain

Reaction score
first things first your truck weights more than 5000lbs plus gear.

Not to mention has the aerodynamics of a brick add nobby tire and we have a eco nuts worst nigtmare. all you can do is keep the engine and suspension in good condition.

oh yeah, if your like me and like to here the roar. Gas milage is not going to happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK