fuel gauge not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1995 Bronco

Reaction score
hello everyone, so today my problem is that when ever you turn the key on to start the truck the gauge goes way past full and it will stay there as long as the keys in the ON postion, but when you turn the key off it slowly goes back down to about 1/3 of a tank and will rest there. i have a 1995 bronco with a 351w in it if it helps. the prevouis owner said they had replaced the sending unit about 10-15 years ago i think and from day 1 the gauge has been messed up. so what do you guys think do i need to drop the tank and out in a new sending unit or could it be a bad float, or could it be a bad ground somewhere and if it is then where would the ground be? let me know what you guys think. thank you!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
It is easy to test a ground issue on the tank by adding a ground to the tank.
Just for testing it doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just a makeshift wire from the tank to a clean spot on the frame.
Clean off an area on the pinch weld of the tank and on the frame. If you can reach it, attach one end right on the sending unit somewhere and then to the frame.
Strip both ends of a wire and use a couple pair of vice grips to attach the wire to the tank and frame.

See it that affects the fuel gauge before you drop the tank.

Otherwise drop the tank, pull the sending unit and manually move it while watching the fuel gauge.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo 1995 Bronco,
WELCOME!
Testing & Connector Pin-Outs in 92-96 Bronco; Sender Range: Full = 160 Ohms; Empty = 16 Ohms; "... gauge that pegs past full indicates an open circuit (broken wire; unplugged connector; corroded terminal; burned sender) on the Y/W wire.

■□■
ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

1995 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1995 Ford Bronco

1995 Bronco Drivetrain, Powertrain Service Manual - Google Drive
&
1995 Bronco Chassis, Service Manual - Google Drive
To switch between folder list & grid views, click the button to the right of the "DOWNLOAD ALL" button in the upper right corner of the window) by HawkDriver

OP
OP

1995 Bronco

Reaction score
alright here is an update, so i striped the wire at the fuel pump and grounded it out to the frame and nothing happened and i tested all the connectors and they all read good besides the fuel gauge in the dash cause i just couldn't get to it. but miesk5 you are a huge help, its like you know how to fix things and where you can find more info so thank you very much. so i guess now its down to dose anyone know how hard it is to pull the tank? is it easy? is it hard? and can i do it in a driveway of my house with no expansive tools like that. let me know what you think. Thanks!

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
An option to dropping the tank is to create an access panel.
Certainly there are links to how to do that.
Personally I would follow that route.

Remember to use a plastic or brass punch when removing the sending unit from the tank.

OP
OP

1995 Bronco

Reaction score
An option to dropping the tank is to create an access panel.
Certainly there are links to how to do that.
Personally I would follow that route.

Remember to use a plastic or brass punch when removing the sending unit from the tank.
see i would to that but my bed is really rusted under the carpet and i dont have a welder on hand

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Welding is not in my skill-set, so i'd probably just use JB-Weld, and cover it with flex seal.
Most of the cutting can be done with a pair of tin snips.

Regarding dropping the tank, IIRC, it has a 40 gallon tank, and depending upon the amount of fuel in it, it could crush your chest. Most drain the tank, and use a transmission jack and a piece of plywood to support the tank while they lower it.
IIRC there are a couple of straps that hold it in place, and one needs to disconnect the fuel line/s and electrical connection to the pump.

Oh.. and I guess the fuel filler connection.

OP
OP

1995 Bronco

Reaction score
Welding is not in my skill-set, so i'd probably just use JB-Weld, and cover it with flex seal.
Most of the cutting can be done with a pair of tin snips.

Regarding dropping the tank, IIRC, it has a 40 gallon tank, and depending upon the amount of fuel in it, it could crush your chest. Most drain the tank, and use a transmission jack and a piece of plywood to support the tank while they lower it.
IIRC there are a couple of straps that hold it in place, and one needs to disconnect the fuel line/s and electrical connection to the pump.

Oh.. and I guess the fuel filler connection.
ya thats what im going to do is drain my tank then use a jack to take it out

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Please consider taking pictures as you go along and posting an instructional tutorial for those who follow.
Have fun, and good luck!

OP
OP

1995 Bronco

Reaction score
Please consider taking pictures as you go along and posting an instructional tutorial for those who follow.
Have fun, and good luck!
alright i will and ill also try and make a small yt video for people like me who find it eaiser to watch than read but thank you for all the help

BigFootJ302

Reaction score
alright i will and ill also try and make a small yt video for people like me who find it eaiser to watch than read but thank you for all the help
There are lots of fuel tank videos on YouTube. Go to this guys channel "rudedogii" and search for "Fuel" https://www.youtube.com/c/rudedogii/search?query=fuel

Ford F150 videos are similar procedure to Bronco.

Be safe! Put electric windows where you want them and then DISCONNECT BATTERY. Think ahead and park the vehicle in the best location for a fire. Inside an attached garage is not a good idea. After taking off the filler hose, use a large syphon hose and drain all the fuel you can to reduce weight of tank. Good luck.

The fuel pump manufacturers say "CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN the tank if you are re-using." Delphi has a video on tank cleaning.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke