Front wheel wells

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
I wanna chage out the plastic wheel wheels on my truck to metal ones, I was wonderin if anyone has done this or knows a good way to do it. Because the way it is right now i cant cut the fenders because of how the wells are mounted. Also there nothing on the them besides the ignition module, and the bettery.

I dont really know what i want to do, if i want to keep my 86 and put a Dana 44, NP205, and this. Or if i wanna get a 78/79 bronc or pick up, and do all the things ive done to this one, like get the engine stripped of everything it dosent need, flowmasters, headers, swapped in a non rusty tailgate :mellow: ...what do yall think would be better?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Redneck86

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
I thought about just takin them off, but then it hit me that if i do that mud, water, snow anything i run though will get thown on the engine. That would be bad because it would make it twice as easy for the distributor to get wet, or spark plugs even. So i deicided that was a bad idea, i dont like the plastic ones because they leave no room for the wheel to tuck in the fender. Plus you cant put your weight on them if you ever need too while workin on your truck.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yeah, I pulled the inner fenders out on my 84 and the 78 Broncos. Have not had a problem with mud or water getting in the engine, plus it's alot easier to work on the motor by crawling under the fender instead of lying on top of the radiator. JSM84

OP
OP
Redneck86

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Well after i thought about it i was wonderin how mud and water couldnt get on it, because the tires throw alot of mud and if the wheel was cut one tire would be point *toward* the engine and throwin everything it let go of directly at the engine.

jstevenson509

Reaction score
Alright, I have a question.

Having just bought my Bronco, 79, just noticed it has no wheel wells, it's had fairly large tires on it in the past so I assume they rubbed and the owner got frustrated.

I'm planning on hitting mud and some water, nothing too ********.

It has the 400ci with stock exhaust manifolds, but there's ALSO a 1/4-1/2" gap between the passenger's exhaust and muffler pipe..

How much of an issue is the lack of wheel wells when it comes to the engine getting hit with water when hot, and how much of an issue is the gap in the exhaust when it comes to mud & whatnot?

Sorry so long.

Thank you!

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I'll show you a pick of my 78 which has the inner fenders removed. I got stuck in this pond not because of water in the motor, just too deep of a mud hole. I spun all four tires, turned the steering wheel lock to lock. I'd say you'll get more mud inside the cab with the doors removed, but even here i stayed fairly clean:

img_1113.jpg

Here's the thread with more pics:

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12562

89eddie89

Reaction score
The only reason I want to take out the wheel wells is so I will be able to geta few extra inches on the flex...

cause right now I am runnin 35's on a 4" and I dont get much flex.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Yep, the 78 has 38" tires with no lift, just cut the front fenders 3" all around. I can turn and get good flex without much rubbing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23