front axle swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s_reynolds_04

Reaction score
i have a 83 f-150 with ifs. i am running a 8inchsusp. lift and 3inch body on 39.5. im wanting to swap in a D44 but not sure if i want to keep coil springs or swap to leaf springs. im wanting to no how hard it would be to swap to leaf springs? im wanting to go to 12inchs in suspention. what changes would i have to make for my stearing? i no leaf springs would get me up higher and im wanting to clear bigger tires. i have a D44 axle out of a 73 F-150. I am not sure if i can use it if i swap to leafs. Can i make the steering components of it work or would i need to change that to. The D44 is only temp. until i can find a D60 to swap in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I think it would be easier to swap to leafs than coils for the SAS, as I put in a Dana60 from an 88 F-350 in my 84 Bronco. Your limiting factor then is going to be tire clearance at the firewall with tires over 40" tall. I'm running 36's at the moment, JSM84

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
I think it would be easier to swap to leafs than coils for the SAS, as I put in a Dana60 from an 88 F-350 in my 84 Bronco. Your limiting factor then is going to be tire clearance at the firewall with tires over 40" tall. I'm running 36's at the moment, JSM84
I agree with jsm84 most of the sas swaps i've seen around here have been done with leafs...they say they are not as hard to locate on the frame....and require a lot less fabrication....I've been playing with the same idea for my sas swap...when i do mine i'll go with the leaf spring route...... B)

boss

Reaction score

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
what type of wheeling are you planning on doing and how big of tires are you thinking of running on that solid 44?

even as a temp diff i would be very leary of running anything taller then what you currently have on there for tires until you get the dana 60 under the front end

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23