Front ABS sensor replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsiemon

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the ABS sensor on the front of their bronco? I'm thinking about replacing it tonight but don't want to get in over my head and not be able to finish it before the snow comes in the morning. Anyone have a how-to or can tell me how long/how hard it is to do. Thanks in advance!

3896_1.JPG

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I didn't think that bronco's had four wheel ABS until '96. Oh well, I guess it was an option earlier. I have a '90 that only has RABS so I can't go out and take a look at it. However I have changed a couple of sensors in my windstar. I'll make a GIANT assumption that the systems are similar.

They are held by a single bolt. THe job takes ten minutes, including getting comfortable, and getting the proper tools, and there is no adjustment.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
YO!

----------------------

Some tips by Shane as part of his Front Wheel Brng & Spindle Installation in a 96 (same parts/process as your yr):

Step 10: Remove the ABS sensor shield. This is the part that is on the front of the steering knuckle. It wraps around the silver sensor cover and overlaps the spindle. It can be seen in the picture above on the right hand side of the spindle. Behind the steering knuckle you will find a small 12-point bolt that holds the ABS sensor shield to the knuckle. Use the 6mm 12 point socket to remove this bolt. The sheild on the knuckle should fall off or come off easily. If not, you can PB Blast the spot where the shield rests against the steering knuckle and let it sit for a few minutes, then tap lightly with the SFH. If you have to use force to remove the shield, be very careful not to damage the sensor.

Step 11: Remove the bolt holding the sensor. Above the small bolt you just removed, you will see a larger bolt that holds the rear sensor cover and the sensor against the back of the steering knuckle. Use the 8 mm socket to remove this bolt.

Attach the ABS sensor cover and shield. Re-install the two bolts holding the sensor cover and shield on using the 8mm socket and the 6mm 12 point socket..."

see Steve's shield location pic[ on spindle/url]- & Mike W's shield pics

&

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/mikew13/DCP_1508.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/mikew13/DCP_1508.jpg

----

http://forums.bucknakedoffroad.com/index.php?topic=119.0Tips by Ian S (part of spindle, bearing, etc. job) w/pics

"...Step 5: ABS Speed Sensor removal

For those vehicles equiped with front ABS, the ABS Speed Sensor is the first thing that needs to be removed. Remove the bolt on the back of the speed sensor. You may be able to push the sensor throught the bracket. I, on the other hand, had to mangle it with a screwdriver and then pound it out with a socket extension and a sledge. I have no intentions to ever replace the sensors.

Back of the sensor ..."

(see Link above for pics-

-------

by Mike W

"...On the later models of the Bronco there will be a black ABS sensor on to the side of the knuckle stud holes. These are held in by two screws. one is a 8mm head 6 point, Then there is this 12 point 6-5mm ***** not sure what size. Me and my freind drilled the small ***** out and put some different screws in afterwards..."

by Dan; "...I found the abs sensor socket (6mm 12 point) at Kragen)

Also avail @ Sears... or any parts store (bought mine locally @ a mom n' pop auto supply..these stores will sell ths socket individually vs buying an entire set)

---------

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0a/a5/be/0900823d800aa5be/repairInfoPages.htm4WABS Sensor, Front Wheel, Removal & Installation in 93-96 Bronco; "...The front brake anti-lock sensors are attached to the front wheel spindles, and the front brake anti-lock sensor indicators are pressed onto the wheel hub assembly..." Source: by combo of Chilton/Nichols/Delmar, & Haynes via autozone.com

"REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Inside the engine compartment, disconnect the sensor from the harness.

Unclip the sensor cable from the brake hose clips.

Remove the retaining bolt from the spindle and slide the sensor from its hole.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the retaining bolt to 40-60 inch lbs. (3.5-5 Nm)..."

92bronco_in_progress

Yeah its a 92 bronco
Reaction score
I didn't think that bronco's had four wheel ABS until '96. Oh well, I guess it was an option earlier. I have a '90 that only has RABS so I can't go out and take a look at it. However I have changed a couple of sensors in my windstar. I'll make a GIANT assumption that the systems are similar.
They are held by a single bolt. THe job takes ten minutes, including getting comfortable, and getting the proper tools, and there is no adjustment.
according to my chiltons 94 was the first 4 wheel ABS system

Armed Bronco

magnum myer
Reaction score
Yes, simple job one bolt, however my 12 year-old sensor didn't want to come out and had to be augered out after breaking up. If I was to do it again and it was stuck, I would remove the hub and drive it out from the other side. I hope yours just slides out.

Guillermo

Reaction score
Is the 6mm bolt a full threaded or partially threaded bolt? Thanks gents.

G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23