Freeze plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_V

Have Bronco....need money.
Reaction score
Ok... so I haven't really had time or money to piddle around with the Bronco since before Christmas (which was also when I had back surgery... main reason for not messing with it)

Today I put a new battery cable on it and put a new bolt in the power steering pump to hold it tight, put some gas to it and it started up... immediately started getting hot so I shut it off... checked the coolant level and there wasn't any in the radiator.

I started filling it up with water for the time being until I can get antifreeze, and I hear water hitting the ground... looks like the motor is just whizzing the water through it underneath the exhaust manifold somewhere, close to the motor mount... would this be a freeze plug or something much much worse?

If it IS a freeze plug, how hard is that to fix?

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check it out.

How many freeze plugs does a block have? I've looked through my Chiltons and it doesn't even mention them.

As far as me just putting water in it, that was just going to be like for the evening until I could take a trip to town and get antifreeze. Glad I didn't pour antifreeze in it since it just all poured out on the ground. When I got the Bronco I flushed the radiator and filled it with 50/50, so yes.. I run coolant in the proper ratio. Whatever was done to this vehicle before I got it, who knows...

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Thanks. Gonna crawl under/in/around it today and see what I can find.

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Would one of these plugs be engineered to be right behind a motor mount??? :angry:

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
I understand the reasons its placed where it is, but its just irritating since its under the mount.

Will I have to pull the whole engine to get to it?

Yardape

Reaction score
Ive done it that way before, undo the mount on the side you are working, lift the engine a bit. The remove the motor mount from the block and your set. To really make your life easier you can remove the exhaust manifold.

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
Most of the time you won't have to pull the engine....Like yardape was sayin i've changed mine with it still sitting in the truck.....Take the manifold or header loose and loosen the mount jack her up alittle remove the mount and there should be enough room to operate....One suggestion replace with brass freeze plugs they last alot longer and don't corriode as bad or fast as steel.....And don't let autozone try to talk you into the rubber exspandable one they don't work worth a crap.... B)

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo