First Ford - '78 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sidehiller

Reaction score
I just bought a '78 Bronco and I know nothing about Fords. I've had Chevys since I started driving 30 years ago.

Anyway, the Bronco has no dents at all, original blue paint, a little rust on the floorboards. It needs tires, shocks and a heater core.

125,000 original miles, 60,000 on engine (Old guy who owned it said it has a 390, but I'm not sure) it runs strong, no leaks or smoke.

4 speed tranny, 9" rear end, Dana 44 front. It will smoke all 4 in 2nd, 4hi. Running boards have to go away of course.

I am thinking of a 2" to 3" lift with 30" Swampers to start with, maybe a set of lockers. I will just use it for fishing & hunting and pulling my snowmobile trailer.

I paid $1500 for it. Did I do OK or was that too much? I will post pics later. Oh yeah - it also has a nice dual exaust.

bronco.JPG

BroncoJeff

fLoWmAsTeRs=RuMbLe
Reaction score
I just bought a '78 Bronco and I know nothing about Fords. I've had Chevys since I started driving 30 years ago. Anyway, the Bronco has no dents at all, original blue paint, a little rust on the floorboards. It needs tires, shocks and a heater core.

125,000 original miles, 60,000 on engine (Old guy who owned it said it has a 390, but I'm not sure) it runs strong, no leaks or smoke.

4 speed tranny, 9" rear end, Dana 44 front. It will smoke all 4 in 2nd, 4hi. Running boards have to go away of course.

I am thinking of a 2" to 3" lift with 30" Swampers to start with, maybe a set of lockers. I will just use it for fishing & hunting and pulling my snowmobile trailer.

I paid $1500 for it. Did I do OK or was that too much? I will post pics later. Oh yeah - it also has a nice dual exaust.
WELCOME TO THE ZONE...!!! IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS SOMEONE ON HERE CAN ANSWER THEM :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Welcome to Bronco Zone!!! Looks like the Bronco is in decent shape as far as the body, and hasn't been lifted or abused. The 78 came stock with the 351M or 400m V8, but it's possible that the prev owner put in a 390 FE V8. If you can post a pic or two of the engine, someone here may be able to tell you what you have. Key points are the timing cover and water inlet location on top of the motor. These old Bronco's are a blast to drive and work on, I picked up a 78 last year. Good luck, JSM84

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > . You betcha you did all right. That should clean up to be a real beauty.

Good luck,

:)>-

muddinlate86

Reaction score
well i know your used to chevys so ill let you in on a secret.you dont need a lift to run 30's!only chevy crap you got to lift to fit bigger tires.o great deal btw

dirtrider883

Reaction score
First i would like to say welcome to the zone. Second you got a good deal I paid 2500 for my 78. Third you should b able to fit 31s under it without a lift. I have 4"s of lift and I can get 35s under it but they rub, so I rn\un 33s.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23