First Bronco- have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOB MARLIN

Reaction score
Just bought a 1990 Bronco. I've had many F series trucks before but never a Bronco. XLT model with the 5.0. 68,000 original miles (as near as I can tell from paper work) but has been parked outside here in so cal on a storage lot for the last 17 years. Its of course very dirty, tires are rotted and the wheels are rusty- easy fix. Owner says he did start it around twice a year. It started right up for me, a little rough at first but then smoothed out. He did say the fuel tank has given him problems lately because of all the crap thats been building up inside. So the plan is a new fuel tank, pump, sending unit and filter. Next will be the cooling system, belts and hoses. Then tires and brakes. The interior is the second ugliest thing I've ever seen. Blue, blue and more blue. It looks like most can be updated and swapped out through the after market, but what to do about the blue dash ?. Is there a solution for the blue dash and components ?. Also, I'm finding a lot of conflicting opinions on what wheels will fit and what max tire size will fit without a lift. I don't mind spacing bumper out but I don't want to trim fenders. Any input is appreciated.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Bob, Welcome!
Dash Removal Tips in a 90
Source: by Steve
Dash Removal Tips in a 90
Source: by 90Bronco33s & Alvin in AZ
Dash Pad ColorBond Application by td152
Painted Info & pics in an 85; "... went with Rustoleum gray plastic specific paint from Lowes. Here's how the dash turned out when i put it back in. Ultimately, i think it came out pretty good for about $15 and an afternoon of work..."
Excerpt, "...First, I wanted to start getting rid of the blue interior. looking to go black and grey..." 🙂
Source: by dconway32

Here are the 1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf

Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

1990 Ford Bronco Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1990-Ford-Bronco.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom!

Bricknose

Reaction score
Just bought a 1990 Bronco. I've had many F series trucks before but never a Bronco. XLT model with the 5.0. 68,000 original miles (as near as I can tell from paper work) but has been parked outside here in so cal on a storage lot for the last 17 years. Its of course very dirty, tires are rotted and the wheels are rusty- easy fix. Owner says he did start it around twice a year. It started right up for me, a little rough at first but then smoothed out. He did say the fuel tank has given him problems lately because of all the crap thats been building up inside. So the plan is a new fuel tank, pump, sending unit and filter. Next will be the cooling system, belts and hoses. Then tires and brakes. The interior is the second ugliest thing I've ever seen. Blue, blue and more blue. It looks like most can be updated and swapped out through the after market, but what to do about the blue dash ?. Is there a solution for the blue dash and components ?. Also, I'm finding a lot of conflicting opinions on what wheels will fit and what max tire size will fit without a lift. I don't mind spacing bumper out but I don't want to trim fenders. Any input is appreciated.
I have a 1990 Bronco my tire size is 31x 10.50 15 my is no lift it’s stock in fact it’s the tire size on the original Id plate on the door I have no problems with it I just finished my interior I got lucky and got pieces here and there lots from Facebook good luck

CreigN

Reaction score
Congratulations on your acquisition. I am finishing my son’s 1989 Bronco XLT 5.0L with quad shocks, so I might be able to pass a few things on to you that I discovered and used. Others on this site may have other suggestions, this is just what we found to be best for us. Ours was parked for only 13 years in a side driveway but with driver window open, heavily cracked floor pans and butchered interior seats.

Fuel tank: Ours had 22 gallons of varnish in it but tank was ok. We disposed of old gas at hazardous waste site and had the inside cleaned, pressure tested and coated at our local radiator shop. We did all new pumps, filters & lines.

• Cooling system: In addition to your list, we also did new water pump, thermostat and new thermostat housing.

• Interior: Ours was also trashed from squirrels, mice and weather. Door panels were not broken and dash was in good shape after we dug out from under all the debris. Because of their poor appearance we needed to paint them. Clean them with mild cleaner and soft brush, rinse with lots of clean water & dry thoroughly. Mask or remove any trim or other pieces. Clean them with Color Bond #1567 ProTech Surface Cleaner. Then use Color Bond LVP (Leather, Vinyl, Plastic) Refinisher in the color you want. Many, many light coats are the best method for best results. Ours turned out looking like new.

• Wheels: We needed new wheels & tires like you. We did not want to lift it and we stayed with the 15” wheel size. Our rims are 15x10 Mickey Thompson Classic III. Tires are 33x12.5x15 BFGoodrich T/A KO2. Yes, tire did hit lower corner of front bumper when turning so we installed new coil springs that are 1½” taller than stock. All works better now.

• Canopy: Our (original white) fiberglass top was stained black from weather, neglect and age settled into it. Scrub it with mild cleaner and sponge and brush (not too hard) with lots of water rinsing. DO NOT use hard sponge or scrubbing pads or anything that will damage or raise the fibers. Pressure washing works the fastest but it also digs into the fiberglass surface. Just get the dirt and grime off slowly. I would advise against painting it unless you’re trying to change the color. To bring the fiberglass back to life, use 303 Aerospace Protectant regularly.

• Exterior Paint: Our red Bronco looked pink because of all the paint oxidation. We lightly wet sanded with 3000 paper in flat areas, careful not to get any burn-through. Then we carefully used Meguiars Ultimate compound, polish and wax to bring the paint back to life.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo CreigN,
Welcome to our site with your tips!
Here are the 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM, Emissions (yellowish/red book cover) & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for faster viewing and to see the table of contents, the search feature, etc.

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

OP
OP
B

BOB MARLIN

Reaction score
Congratulations on your acquisition. I am finishing my son’s 1989 Bronco XLT 5.0L with quad shocks, so I might be able to pass a few things on to you that I discovered and used. Others on this site may have other suggestions, this is just what we found to be best for us. Ours was parked for only 13 years in a side driveway but with driver window open, heavily cracked floor pans and butchered interior seats.

Fuel tank: Ours had 22 gallons of varnish in it but tank was ok. We disposed of old gas at hazardous waste site and had the inside cleaned, pressure tested and coated at our local radiator shop. We did all new pumps, filters & lines.

• Cooling system: In addition to your list, we also did new water pump, thermostat and new thermostat housing.

• Interior: Ours was also trashed from squirrels, mice and weather. Door panels were not broken and dash was in good shape after we dug out from under all the debris. Because of their poor appearance we needed to paint them. Clean them with mild cleaner and soft brush, rinse with lots of clean water & dry thoroughly. Mask or remove any trim or other pieces. Clean them with Color Bond #1567 ProTech Surface Cleaner. Then use Color Bond LVP (Leather, Vinyl, Plastic) Refinisher in the color you want. Many, many light coats are the best method for best results. Ours turned out looking like new.

• Wheels: We needed new wheels & tires like you. We did not want to lift it and we stayed with the 15” wheel size. Our rims are 15x10 Mickey Thompson Classic III. Tires are 33x12.5x15 BFGoodrich T/A KO2. Yes, tire did hit lower corner of front bumper when turning so we installed new coil springs that are 1½” taller than stock. All works better now.

• Canopy: Our (original white) fiberglass top was stained black from weather, neglect and age settled into it. Scrub it with mild cleaner and sponge and brush (not too hard) with lots of water rinsing. DO NOT use hard sponge or scrubbing pads or anything that will damage or raise the fibers. Pressure washing works the fastest but it also digs into the fiberglass surface. Just get the dirt and grime off slowly. I would advise against painting it unless you’re trying to change the color. To bring the fiberglass back to life, use 303 Aerospace Protectant regularly.

• Exterior Paint: Our red Bronco looked pink because of all the paint oxidation. We lightly wet sanded with 3000 paper in flat areas, careful not to get any burn-through. Then we carefully used Meguiars Ultimate compound, polish and wax to bring the paint back to life.
Thanks for sharing your info.
I plan on going with 33" x 10.5 tire so I think I'll be fine there. I see online that a new steel fuel tank is only $90, so thats my plan there. I'll look into the LVP as you suggested. Hopefully that will work for me. It's really too bad because the interior isn't in that bad of shape, I just can't stand the color. Still waiting on this thing to be delivered to the house so I can start cleaning it out to really see what I got. Terms of the sale were that he get it to pass smog (a big thing here in California) and then flat bed it to my house as the tires are to rotted out to drive it at anything over 20 MPH.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
I plan on going with 33" x 10.5 tire so I think I'll be fine there. I see online that a new steel fuel tank is only $90, so thats my plan there. I'll look into the LVP as you suggested. Hopefully that will work for me. It's really too bad because the interior isn't in that bad of shape, I just can't stand the color. Still waiting on this thing to be delivered to the house so I can start cleaning it out to really see what I got. Terms of the sale were that he get it to pass smog (a big thing here in California) and then flat bed it to my house as the tires are to rotted out to drive it at anything over 20 MPH.

Welcome

I have tan interior on a black Bronco. I started painting all the trim pieces black. Looks decent but will scratch … I'm probably going to get some black wrap and a heat gun for the door panels and dash. i will post something up when completed

cpb81

Reaction score
Try some 4:10 front and rear gears, and you will be amazed.

Bricknose

Reaction score
On lmctruck.com you can get all or most of you interior trim there i saw a dash in there so you can change the color you like better hope that helps some of the panels are not in there those are the ones you need to locate else where like junk yards Facebook local ads and Bronco zone

chrlsful

Reaction score
ID the major components as a 2nd job after cleaning (U may need to do so w/some of these as well - to see #s, castings and stampings). What will U use this rig for, what is the application? That will tell U if U need to do any mods...
Do U know these rigs (Y/M/M) well (ie capacity, capability, "as is build")? If not we can direct you to research docs/sites/cites/etc...
As U may see - I believe in due diligence B4 building plan construction, & just higher understanding at initiation of ownership~
8^ )

Jasgeer

Reaction score
I put the 1-2" lift on the TTB front suspension and was able to run 32-33" tires as I remember. I went to a scrap steel dealer and purchased some short lengths of 1 3/4 to 2" square tubing which enabled me to move the front bumper forward. It was hardly noticeable to the eye but eliminated the interference. The front alignment was simple after the shop installed eccentrics on the two ball joints.
I was very pleased with the results.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo