Faded paint needs help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The paint on my 84 Bronco is looking really dull, and has lost alot of the shine. It was re-painted about 5-6 years ago with base coat and clear. What can I do to get it to sparkle again? JSM84

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
JSM i'll talk to my detailer at work. he has a product that does paint restore on vechiles. he hit my bronco with the paint restore in sept of 2007. i rarely washed the truck properly after that, however when i got it ready to sell i finally gave it a super good bath and wash down. here's what it looked like after i gave it a good washing 2 yrs later

clean_bronco_007.jpg

cah193

Reaction score
The paint on my 84 Bronco is looking really dull, and has lost alot of the shine. It was re-painted about 5-6 years ago with base coat and clear. What can I do to get it to sparkle again? JSM84
Meguiars ColorX. Last fall I bought a 1995 Eddie Bauer which was in good shape but the paint was very oxidized. I used this stuff and I swear the paint looks 5 years younger and that hazy oxidation was gone. My neighbor noticed the same results on a 1998 Ram1500. I am a big time believer in that wax now.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
The paint is PPG metallic urethane, 3 coats, with 3 coats of clear and a hardener+sealer in the top coat. MY painter advised not to use just any old car wax, cause they would ruin the finish. The only thing I was able to use was a polish made by 3M, of which I'm out of and can't find locally anymore. I don't have a buffer, but prolly need to do something by hand with the right stuff. I will look into the MeQuiar's products. I did buy something of their's like a show car polish, and tried it but it didn't do anything to a small area. I used something else on my 98 Z-71,and it shined up good without much work, JSM84

92broncomann

Reaction score
Im guessing he buffed and waxed it. ****.

Right on the money Yardape LOL....... But yes JSM84, the truck has all original paint (except for the hood) but i try to keep it clean on a regular basis, and have the car wash detail it and get it buffed and waxed makes a world of difference, as you can see 16 year old pain shines like new :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

3M does make some good wax, and meguiars does as well, maybe look for some mothers wax i believe they do everything including wheel polish.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I talked to my paint guy today, while getting a quote on the 66 Mustang. HE suggested that I should bring it by him, so he could judge the amount of oxidation or decay, rather than recommending a specific product. Said that if I use the wrong stuff, it could ruin the paint job. It looks like i may even have to get it wet sanded. Not quite what I wanted to hear, but the answer I was looking for. But for now, I'm going to hold off on any waxes or other products, JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

bobstrat

Reaction score
nothing wrong with a professional opinion. (read: not mine) i do a little guitar restoration on the side for s*its and giggles, and i use only auto paint to do it. (hard to find good metallic colors that aren't for a car) the cleaner wax is very gentle and can actually be used in between coats of paint to clean over spray. it is clear coat safe. the thing most people do wrong is improper cleaning and trying to use 1 applicator to clean the whole truck. you do more damage rubbing dirt into the finish. i would still let your guy look at it, but before i paid for wet sanding i would try a little in an inconspicuous area. the paint would have to be really bad to need wet sanding.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23