exhaust modifications causing inspection issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jramirez35

Reaction score
Ok fellas...been hitting the forums frequently to find out how to fix all my issues along the way so it is great to have that as an option. Here is my new dilemma...previous owner ran straight pipes back to the mufflers and got rid of the catalytic converters. when i went to get it inspected I got this pointed out to me. I had been under there quite a few times and never even paid attention...honestly, i liked the strong sound it gave me. So here is my question...do i need two cats per side (like when it had the y-pipe) or is one per side gonna cut it? I have the bungs capped off on the exhaust manifolds so i can put the 02 sensors in there for the upstream ckt and I can put in the fittings after the cats to run two more 02 sensors for the downstream. I do need to figure out how to get the check valve on this for the air diverter ckt but i think I am on the right path. Any suggestions? Oh it may sound old school but i like the beefy sound i got right now so would glasspack mufflers cause me an issue or just run some flowmasters? Thanks in advance for the help.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok fellas...been hitting the forums frequently to find out how to fix all my issues along the way so it is great to have that as an option. Here is my new dilemma...previous owner ran straight pipes back to the mufflers and got rid of the catalytic converters. when i went to get it inspected I got this pointed out to me. I had been under there quite a few times and never even paid attention...honestly, i liked the strong sound it gave me. So here is my question...do i need two cats per side (like when it had the y-pipe) or is one per side gonna cut it? I have the bungs capped off on the exhaust manifolds so i can put the 02 sensors in there for the upstream ckt and I can put in the fittings after the cats to run two more 02 sensors for the downstream. I do need to figure out how to get the check valve on this for the air diverter ckt but i think I am on the right path. Any suggestions? Oh it may sound old school but i like the beefy sound i got right now so would glasspack mufflers cause me an issue or just run some flowmasters? Thanks in advance for the help.

yo J,

You can buy one cat from Walker, who was and prob still is Ford's OE supplier (esp for our Broncos)

Check with State Insection folks if you can run single cat; or go w/two.

1990 Bronco XLT Full Size| 302/AOD transmission|

Replaces Both Front & Rear OE Converters; Not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the state of California.; May require [p#:1,35574] Air Tube Kit for installation.; Replaces multiple O.E. Converters. Only failed Converters may be replaced. See Catalytic Converter Installation Guide.; Fed & Calif Emiss. Models

Standard Direct Fit 15798

Inlet Count 2

Inlet Diameter 1 2.500"

Inlet Diameter Designation Inside Diameter

Inlet Connection Type 2 Bolt Spherical Flare Loose ******

Outlet Count 1

Outlet Diameter 1 2.250"

Outlet Diameter Designation Outside Diameter

Outlet Connection Type Pipe Connection

Body Material Stainless Steel

Body Shape Large Oval

Substrate Material Ceramic

Overall Length 73.000"

Oxygen sensor location No Port Location

Package Contents Adapter& Air Tube

Feature and Benefit Walker® Standard Catalytic Converters, available for Pre-OBD (1995 and older) vehicles are engineered with durable stainless steel bodies. Walker® Catalytic Converters, an industry leader for import and domestic applications, meet EPA emission requirements, and have a 25,000-mile catalytic performance warranty, in addition to a 5-year/50,000-mile structural integrity warranty.

Designed for use on Pre-OBDII vehicles. (1995 and older)

Stainless steel body, heat-shielded pipe and structural brace for enhanced strength and durability.

Meet EPA emission requirements

25,000-mile catalytic performance warranty / 5-year 50,000-mile structural integrity warranty

Not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the state of California.; Modifications and/or additional parts required.; Fed & Calif Emiss. Models Front Standard Universal 15022 1

Not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the state of California.; Modifications and/or additional parts required.; Fed & Calif Emiss. Models Rear Standard Universal 15042 1

Replaces Both Front & Rear OE Converters; w/ Air Tube; Not legal for sale on vehicles licensed in the state of California.; Modifications and/or additional parts required.; Fed & Calif Emiss. Models Front and Rear Standard Universal 15142

use Part Number for a google search for best Price

I prefer Walker Aluminized mufflers

12548_resized.gif

They have glass packs, Auper Turbo, Sound FX; gewt hangers abd other parts too

They also own Thrush and DynoMax

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo J,

Had to post it before I lost Comcast cable, again

Air Inlet Tube Location pics at Catalytic Converter in an 89 5.0; Use High Temperature Silicone Hose

by rcracerx

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg269/wannabahumvee/mods/CIMG0011.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg269/wannabahumvee/mods/CIMG0002.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg269/wannabahumvee/mods/CIMG0008.jpg

More Air Injection LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=416

Air Injection (AIR), Secondary Air Injection; Pump (Smog Pump), Thermactor Air Bypass (TAB) & Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD) Solenoids; Diverter, Check & Bypass Valves, Cross-Over Tube, etc.

Check Valve Location Diagram in an 88 5.0

1988-5.0-thermactor.jpg

Source: by Jem270

should be same location; see more info in my site in above URL

Next is Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) or Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor (HEGO) Old Acronym)

my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=149

OP
OP
jramirez35

jramirez35

Reaction score
Hey M5...thanks for the quick response. I was looking over your response and was already gonna go with the Walker option for the glasspacks because I can get them at oreillys. What I failed to make clear is that the PO bypassed the y-pipe completely and i have dual exhaust out the back...which i actually like. one pipe from the left exhaust manifold and one pipe from the right exhaust manifold. both manifolds have a **** that is capped off right now and i can move the HEGO sensors to those two locations no problem. i actually had that in mind, but i wasnt sure about the third HEGO sensor (and possibly fourth now) and where to put them. That is where i meant dual cats...can i run a universal cat on each pipe or do i need the reduction cat (fwd cat) and the oxidizing cat(rear cat) on each pipe. Basically 4 cats in all, 2 per pipe...is that necessary? Then, putting the 3rd and 4th HEGO sensor aft of the last cat before it gets to the glasspacks. Seems like a lot of components plus i havent quite figured out how to connect the check valve to both pipes. Maybe a high temp hose with a t-connection or something? I have been in a championship fight with this vehicle since i got her and we are in like rd 10 now and i have it up against the ropes for a change. Better half is actually happy that i have made so much progress on this vehicle and she really is all in on this as well so if mama is happy, **** daddy is REALLY happy. What daddy dont like doing is paying someone a sh*tload of money for something i can do myself...have a welder here at the house and just really looking to make the right choices here with a little proper guidance. Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo J,

ok, I see the situation now. Problem is; does TX require O2s/CATs etc. AS BUILT, ss well as emission tests?

And these types of mods (duals) cause grief in my state; for testing as well as daily operation.

I believe (THINK, am not sure) that the 90 5.0 had only one pre-cat 3 Wire Sensor on passenger side exhaust.

I do not know how or if you can hook up more than one HEGO because the info sent back to the EEC only goes to EEC

PINs;

One wire is for vehicle power (12+ DC V)

Pin 29 (HEGO)

Pin 49 is HEGO GND

EEC IV LEGEND by Ryan http://oldfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html

EEC IV CONNECTOR PIN-OUT D DIAGRAM by Ryan http://oldfuelinjection.com/images/eec04.gif

As for placing cats in each side, that may work, but is costly & IDK how the HEGOs would be set-up electrically to EEC.

Here is a Duals & Gibson Headers & dual Flowmaster™ 40's in a 90

Source: by Bronco In Ny (Harry A, Invictus Maneo) at http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/7390/24482

Harry did not address the HEGO, but did write; "Duels coming back by trani this is where I'll place the 2 Dynatech powercats before we Move to Pa or I'll install a single Cat with duel in and duel out"

So he has the clue that he will be in gators up to the nutz in PA due to state's Emission Testing.

Ford Motorsport Shorties in a 90 5.0 (some pics are gone)

Source: by Mud E1 (Brent R) at http://web.archive.org/web/20051123032223/www.bejara.com/fmsh.html

Brent wrote; "The part number for these headers is M-9430-T50 and they are described in Ford's 2003 Motorsport catalog as fitting "1990-95 F-Series Truck and E-Series Van with 5.0L engine." There's a footnote that indicates they are designed for stock and "all GT-40 heads." They don't have anything listed separately for a Bronco, but they fit mine just fine.

Two notes should be made regarding them: (1) the passenger side does have a threaded hole for a sensor (I plugged mine because my sensor is in the exhaust pipe), and (2) there is no air tube on these headers. I guess some vehicles came with an air tube that runs into one of the manifolds. My vehicle does not. Other parts I used were some copper gaskets from Summit, part number SUM-111430, and some Permatex Ultra Copper RTV silicone. Please also note that these pictures were taken at the time I was replacing the exhaust manifolds, hence no pictures of the stock manifolds."

==========

re your; "how to connect the check valve to both pipes. Maybe a high temp hose with a t-connection or something?"

Yes, high temp is key here.

My only advice on what to do now to save your $ & pass any Emission Tests (I took some time during this reply to see that TX does require a lot to be in-place and gave up trying to find detailed E tests for your year), is to scrap the duals; use $ for Mustang shorty headers to a y and the Walker set-up. Restore HEGO to correct location; use left-over $ for performance intake manifold, etc.

I'll try to find if anyone did successfully install duals with a good HEGO set-up in your year range (say 97 to 91) and report back if I find anything.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo J,

Here is some info I have in my broncolinks.com site;

88 w/Lincoln Shorty Headers (92 Lincoln), dual exhausts w/CATCO® CTO-6005 catalytic converters & hi-flow mufflers in a 5.0 Source: by Ironclad (Jeff J, da Money Pit)

Significant Excerpts;

"There's just one O2 sensor...

The passenger side was mostly a straight drop down heading towards the back between the starter and the frame. A new O2 sensor socket was fabricated and welded into the pipe....header_pipes.jpg

opted for two CatCo high flow converters.... Catco CTO-6005 catalytic converters - $110.00

The upside was, that even though a VA shop will not do the work, the truck will pass Virginia state inspection with a true dual exhaust system as long as there are catalytic converters installed. (Assuming they don't notice that missing smog pump thingy...

So Jeff does not have that Air Inlet Tube to Catalytic Converter

with duals, exh pipe may be routed too close to the driver,'s side brake line near the gas tank

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23