Engine Timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
Guys,

Adjusting the timing on the B-Co and i adjusted the dizzy to set the total timing @ 30 degrees (engine @ 3k-3.5k rpm), however, that is roughly 18-20 degrees initial timing..Can that be right?

The engine runs much smoother.  The vacuum is the highest ive seen around 22-24 psi (measured at the vacuum port on the carb).  It runs much better than  it did with the initial timing @ 10 degrees. 

I just ran the rig at WOT and it held each gear longer and stronger than before.  Should I leave it at what appears to be 20 degrees initial timing??  (The harbor freight timing light isnt high quality, but I dont think the timing light is the problem).  Or is this indicative of some other problem.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Whatever the book says.

With the proper items connected & disconnected.., setting timing  should be a piece-a-cake.

The vacuum gage is a great way to fine-tune timing.

Sounds like you hit the "sweet-spot".  There should be no pinging.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B-Co Kid

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
No pinging. Idles at 900 rpm in park around 750-800 rpm in drive. Air/fuel adjusted to around 13.4 to 13.7.

The book say 10 degrees initial timing, So 20 degrees is way off. I just don't want to unknowingly cause damage to the engine.

Not sure if it is a factor, maybe you guys know, but the engine is bored .60 and has a 10:10 crank.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
10deg. is with a few things disconnected. You're not mentioning this.

10deg. on the timing light or using the crank timing marks..?

Not my expertise but it's my understanding, any interior eng. mods can affect your timing.

Bore size won't matter.

You may be better served talking to a "speed-shop" or an eng. re-build shop.

Also..., www.summitracing.com

OP
OP
B-Co Kid

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
Timing light has a dial on it. So I marked the 0 degrees on the crank, and use the dial on the timing light to set.

Vacuum advance was disconnected when I set total timing, and subsequently, initial timing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23