Eliminating inline (frame mounted) fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loudpyps

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the site, not new to broncos, I had a 86 full size with 302 that I built a buggy out of, I'm now in the process of plumbing fuel and wondering if I can replace the low pressure in-tank pump with a high pressure pump and eliminate the 2nd pump mounted up front? Anyone else tried this? Or should I use a fuel cell and a high pressure frame mount? Thanks in advance for useful and informative input

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Loud, Welcome.

If you're building an off road buggy for dunes, rock-crawling, or deep woods, I would go for the lined fuel cell, and high pressure frame pump.  It's always better when the fuel is not sloshing all over. Just remember to add an adjustable pressure regulator.

Good Luck 

OP
OP
L

Loudpyps

Reaction score
Any idea what the required operating pressure is? I was just going to reuse the original system but I seem to have misplaced (thrown away) my old frame mount lol

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo L,

I have heard of this swap only once, t was on a two Tank system in A Bronco Conversion but is same

Single Pump Conversion in an 89 Centurion

Source: by Traveler (Centurion) at http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?4674-Single-fuel-pump-conversion

I heard that some have swapped in an later year single in-tank pump AND tank, lines, with harness, etc. into the dual pump model years.

Two electric pumps are used on fuel injected models; a low pressure boost pump mounted in the fuel tank and a high pressure pump mounted on the vehicle frame. The low pressure pump is used to provide pressurized fuel to the inlet of the high pressure pump and helps prevent noise and heating problems. The externally mounted high pressure pump is capable of supplying 15.9 gallons of fuel an hour. System pressure is at a working pressure of 39 psi, controlled by a pressure regulator mounted on the engine

If you need wiring diagrams, let us know.

Here are the three 86 Bronco 5.0 diagrams;

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=27262

Early EFI Fuel Pump Connectors C441 (WPT-454) used through 93. 94-96 use the same wire colors, but a smaller round gray inline connector.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/744424

Fuel Level Sender & Gauge Wiring for '92-96 Broncos ('87-96 F-series & Bronco similar)

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/744437

by Steve

btw, I added this to your profile; "86 full size Bronco with 302 that I built a buggy out of"

Add more to your signature for more accurate replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
L

Loudpyps

Reaction score
I've heard about swapping in the tank and pump out of single pump systems also, I found the high pressure frame mount on rockauto for 35 bucks, seems like the most reasonable route, I'm at this super awesome phase (not really) of stripping down the harness for just engine and fuel management and I actually got the motor to crank yesterday, if it starts once i add furl system I'll be even more surprised lol, anyone on here make sigs? I only have my phone for now so if I could send some pics and get a code or email back that would be awesome

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Loud,

As for Sigs, anf Moderator can add info to your signature for you; just add it in a reply here.

Also, you will need to eliminate the Single-Function Reservoir;

Single-Function Reservoir Location pics on drivers frame rail in an 86

at-the-park-001.jpg

at-the-park-003.jpg

Source: by itsneverfinished (Brandon)

Jeff Ogden

Reaction score
I converted my 88 to the single in tank pump system using 90 to,96 parts,I used everything to the tank to all the fuel lines going to the fuel rail and made up a wiring adapter to hook the newer pump to the 88 pump plug.

nelbur

Reaction score
yo Loud,

As for Sigs, anf Moderator can add info to your signature for you; just add it in a reply here.

Also, you will need to eliminate the Single-Function Reservoir;

Single-Function Reservoir Location pics on drivers frame rail in an 86

at-the-park-001.jpg

at-the-park-003.jpg

Source: by itsneverfinished (Brandon)
On my 86 this is also the fuel filter.   With an in tank pump this low pressure filter will have to be replaced with the high pressure fuel filter.

OP
OP
L

Loudpyps

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm just going to buy the high pressure frame mount and run both pumps and put a high pressure inline filter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar