ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

littleleo2

Reaction score
I BELIEVE THAT I HAVE A SHORT TO GROUND ONKMYEEC AND AM THINKING THAT I HAVE TO CHANGE IT. IS THERE ANY PROBLEM WITH CHANGING IT AS FAR AS ENTERING CODED OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. THIS IS FOR A 1990 BRONCO11 2.9 ENGINE. IT IS LOCATED IN THE SIDE PANEL ON THE DRIVER SIDE NEXT TO THE REAR SEAT. THE FUSES ON THE FUSE BLOCK LOCATED BY THE LEFT SIE OF THE ENGINE SHOW ME A SHORT FROM THR EEC RELAY[WHICH I REMOVED AND THE SHORT STILL SHOWS. THE SHORT TO GRPOUND ALSO SHOWS ON THE TWO POWER FUSES. ANY HELP OUT THERE? THANK YOU

Seabronc

Reaction score
By a short to ground, are you reading this with an ohm meter? What is the actual reading you are getting?

:)>-

OP
OP
L

littleleo2

Reaction score
By a short to ground, are you reading this with an ohm meter?  What is the actual reading you are getting?

26484[/snapback]

I HAVE THE POSITIVE SIDE OF THE BATTERY ON AND THE NEGATIVE SIDE DISCONNECTED. WITH MY METER SET TO 10 VOLTS DC I CONNECT THE POSITIVE SIDE OF MY METER TO THE DISCONNECTED BATTERY WIRE AND TOUCH THE NEGATIVE POST ON MY BATTERY WITH MY NEGATIVE SIDE OF THE METER. THIS INDICATES THAT I HAVE A SHORT TO GROUND.I AM FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS FOR THIS FROM MY HAYNES BRONCO BOOK.IF I REMOVE THE FUSE FOR THE EEC LOCATED ON THE FENDER FUSE BLOCK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE AND THE SHORT IS GONE. THIS SHORT WILL ALSO SHOW UP ON THE TWO 60 AMP FUSES LOCATED IN THE SAME BLOCK. AS I FOLLOW THE WIREING DIAGRAM IT TELLS ME THAT THE YELLOW WIRE TO THE EEC RELAY[ WHICH I HAVE DISCONNECTED] WILL LEAD TO THE COMPUTOR CONTROL. SO FAR THAT IS IT. NY HELP??? THANK YOU

Seabronc

Reaction score
OK Leo, I understand what you are doing. Please answer all my questions.

1. Just for my information, what was the symptom that got you into this trouble shooting proceedure?

Also, use the next higher DC scale on your meter. I would like to know the exact voltage reading and the 10V scale is too low since this is a 12V system.

2. First take a reading from bat - to +. What is it?

3. Take a resistance reading from the battery end of the negitive cable to the frame, (there should be some wires grounded to the body near the battery). Start with a low scale and only increase the scale if necessary. What is that reading in Ohms? It should be almost zero.

Now set up as before with the meter neg. lead on the batt - post and the meter pos. lead on the battery - cable.

4. What is the reading you are getting on the meter with the fuses plugged in?

5. Is the ECC still plugged in? If it is, disconnect the ECC from the cable that attaches it.

6. Then do your check again. With the fuses plugged in, do you get a voltage reading?

If yes, what is the reading?

From here we can go in a couple of directions depending on your answers to the above questions.

From here it may be easier to set up a time when we are both on and can shoot PM's back and forth. I'm on the East Coast, don't know where you are.

Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
L

littleleo2

Reaction score
I AM LIVING IN FLORIDA BUT WAS FROM PENNA. NORTHEAST. I WILL TRY TO ANSWER ALL THAT YOU ASK BUT I WILL NEED SOME TIME. I WILL GET BACK TO YOU AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. ONE QUESTION TO YOU NOW.YOU SAIS TO DISCONNECT THE CABLE TO THE ECC. WHERE IS THAT LOCATED EXACTLY. I BELIEVE THAT MY ECC IS LOCATED IN THE REAR PANAL BEHIND THE DRIVERS SEAT.??? THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST. I am adding to this now, the problem began when the bronco would not start and i jumped the battery. i then took a ride for a while and when i came back the bronco would not restart when i shut it off.i then bought a new battery ,as the charge indicator did not show a charge i relaced the brushes in the alternator.my i could not start the bronco and checking i found that the new battery now shows a voltage of 6 volts. i began to check to ground as indicated in my hayns book [positive connected,negative disconnected] with the voltmeter set at 10 volts i checked from disconnected cable to negetive battrey post. i show 6 volts.since then i have disconnected my ignition switch,window heater switch. light switch,removed all of my fuses located by brake pedal,removed three relays located by fenderbeneath fuse block. i then removed all the fuses on the fuse block on left fender.the test that shows voltage only occurs when i remove the 35 and two 60 fuses from this block.my schmatic shows two yellow wires from the ecc go to the termnal block of the ecc relay and then to the ecc.i now read 6 volts on my battery and on the test.the ohm reading is 500 ohms on r1 r10 and r100.as i said before i believe that my ecc is located on the rear panal behind the drivers seat. it shows three terminal connectios but i do not know where they go. thats about it. thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat