Electrical Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dons67

Reaction score
New to the forum.

Sort of inherited a 67 (wifes mothers boyfriend, etc.). Mostly stock - uncut. A little rust.

He was in the process of switching to a 302 when he quit on it about 20 years ago. Was also putting in a floor shifter (going to go back to the column shifter).

Worked thru the engine, put on new gas tank and rebuilt carb. Got it started, adjusted timing and ran OK. Stopped and no electric. Battery OK. Checked solenoid and replaced. Can jump the solenoid and turn it over. Checked the wiring diagrams but I am no electrical genius.

Thinking it might be the ignition switch? Are there easy (or not too difficult) ways to diagnose?

Thanks for any help.

F1Jim64

Reaction score
Think you are on the right track with an ignition switch problem. When you turn the key to "start" position, you should get 12 volts on one of the starter solenoid terminals - if you don't - then you've got a switch or wiring problem. You've probably got to pull the switch from the dash - make sure you are getting power "to" the switch from the fuse box... I've seen rusty fuse box terminals cause issues - clean them - or just hotwire power to the switch with a jumper lead.

chrlsful

Reaction score
grounds 'go out' on older rigs (rust). Here the important ones might B motor to frame, the battery (not an 'ele guy', actual ele dummy) but there may B 1 on the starter...Gotta start at the battery and wrk ur way toward (continuity) ign parts, go thru all them...

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I agree with chrlsful...lots of electrical issues come from poor grounds. There has to be a proper ground from the battery to the frame and frame to engine, body to frame and engine to body. All free from grease and corrosion.
Good luck
Stay on Ron and I,ll help keep you company through the storm. Hope everyone will be save and turn out good for all of you. Look up.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Stay on Ron and I,ll help keep you company through the storm. Hope everyone will be save and turn out good for all of you. Look up.
I just put 2 new grounds on my bronco Sunday. One from the starter to frame and one from frame to the motor. I used the thick copper ones that don,t break easy.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I just put 2 new grounds on my bronco Sunday. One from the starter to frame and one from frame to the motor. I used the thick copper ones that don,t break easy.
The ford solenoids will go bad sittin around--no contact from solenoid to body (no ground.) Also the starter bolts to the aluminium and the corrode easy. That,s one should have a good ground.From the starter to the frame .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke