EFI Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snomoride

Reaction score
Hey Guy's new here so here goes, Started my project about a month ago on my 1956 Ford F100, after looking thru a bunch of Forums still looking for some answers.

My engine choice a 1992 5.0 E4OD Trans out of a F150, ya ya I know should have been a Mustang 5.0 BUT IT"S NOT thats what get when I ask this question on other forums, so question is ,after weeding thru the wires I do not need all I have left is some wire from Trans harness that went to the Original  gauge cluster  for some speedo module thing some say It's not needed ?

Need speed sensor so how about a cable thru with speed generator that go into the tall housing, seen this on some mustang sites?

OD Cancel switch, I was going to just get a shifter from a F150 Column and put it in the Column that I'm using already !

I know there is more question that I need to ask but thats all for now

Any help would be great !! 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Welcome!

E4OD Controls Overview, Sensors & Diagram;

On vehicles equipped with gasoline engines, the operation of the E4OD automatic transmission is controlled by the powertrain control module. Many input sensors provide information to the powertrain control module, which then controls the actuators that affect transmission operation.

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) 9E731 mounted on the 8.8 is a variable reluctance sensor that sends an AC/frequency signal to the powertrain control module. The vehicle speed sensor signal is used by the powertrain control module to calculate vehicle speed in mph. Used as an input in determining shift scheduling and electronic pressure control.

Symptoms: Harsh engagements, firm shift feel, abnormal shift schedule; unexpected downshifts may occur at closed throttle, abnormal torque converter clutch operation or torque converter clutch engages only at wide-open throttle. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM):

Description: The programmable speedometer/odometer module receives input from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) (aka rear brake anti-lock sensor) which is mounted on the rear axle differential housing. The PSOM processes this input signal information and relays it to the powertrain control module and the speed control module. This signal tells the powertrain control module the vehicle speed in miles per hour (mph). Used as an input in determining shift scheduling and electronic pressure control.

Symptoms: Harsh engagements, firm shift feel, abnormal shift schedule, unexpected downshifts may occur at closed throttle, abnormal torque converter clutch operation or engages only at wide-open throttle (WOT). May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

Read more about the E4OD

In 96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL) by FORD via

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

Same as most earlier years especially 92-96, except for: OBD II in 96; 4WABS (93-96); RABS (87-92); Air Bag (94-96); 3 ***** Automatic Locking Hubs (Built from May 95 through 96); Spark Plug Wire Routing & Firing Order (The firing order for 1987-1993 5.0Ls is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. The firing order for 1994- 96 5.0Ls & all 5.8Ls is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.);

2-piece Spindle Rolling Diaphragm Seal (RDS) used on 5/95 to 96 Broncos & F Series 1/2-ton 4WD;

and a few other items that I still need to research such as Mass Air Flow in 95 5.8 California models and in all 96s, other years used Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP).

The 9 inch could be a candidate for the VSS Kit 92-96 Bronco E4OD

http://www.southwestperformance.net/products.html

And all other fords with BOLT ON yoke BW1356 transfer case.

But, are you using the transfer case?

OP
OP
S

snomoride

Reaction score
Talked to US Shift about this on Monday there looking into what else I might need . Maybe there Quick 1 unit might take care of the wires going to the Speedo cluster PSOM .

Not running a bolt on ****** yoke it's an older 9 inch.  Seems like no one does a 5.0 truck motor swap all mustang and there are alot of folks that have answers for that setup but no info on the truck motor with speed air density  injection, some one out here in the inter net land must have some info on this style EFI.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Y9,

Will try to find someone.

Check these transmission controller products..

http://www.twistmachine.com/transmission-controllers/compushift-ii-and-shrifter-custom-tuned-bundle/

And

ifter, B&M Megashifter Info & pic in a 92; "...Everyone I talked to including Summit Racing said it won't work. I installed the shifter as a normal 3 speed, then ran the overdrive wire from the steering column shifter to the NOS button on the B&M shifter. The handle with button was $35 extra, we had also wired it to a toggle switch and it worked fine, just figured the switch in the handle looked better. The shifter is still rather stiff, but it shifts my truck unlike the old broken column shifter. Total outlay of hard earned cash was about $250 from Summit. Fit in easily in front of the center console, no real major problems with install..."

Source: by opy at Ford Bronco Zone

OP
OP
S

snomoride

Reaction score
Y9,

http://www.twistmachine.com/transmission-controllers/compushift-ii-and-shrifter-custom-tuned-bundle/

And

ifter, B&M Megashifter Info & pic in a 92; "...Everyone I talked to including Summit Racing said it won't work. I installed the shifter as a normal 3 speed, then ran the overdrive wire from the steering column shifter to the NOS button on the B&M shifter. The handle with button was $35 extra, we had also wired it to a toggle switch and it worked fine, just figured the switch in the handle looked better. The shifter is still rather stiff, but it shifts my truck unlike the old broken column shifter. Total outlay of hard earned cash was about $250 from Summit. Fit in easily in front of the center console, no real major problems with install..."

Y9,

And

Wow Nice setup but $$, After talking to TwEECer and US Shift Baumann Controls I'm going to get it running first We think that what I've done so far to should run and maybe shift , the trans might go to default and just run second gear then we need to go alittle deeper, I Like TwEECer to get rid of Purge,EGR , and other stuff that I don't need will see , was going to check out Moates also , These seem like the only ones that mess with EEC Ford Stuff. These guy's are mostly Mustang guy's but they seem to know about the Truck stuff as far as EFI.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke