E4OD Upgrade for a 93 351 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TW ‘s 93

Reaction score
Just picked up a 93 bronco at Mecum with 43,000 on it. The seller seemed to forget to mention In their write up the tranny was hosed 😎. Car is low mileage and I’m keeping it but as I do my homework I understand the E4OD’s were a bit problematic. Has a potential upgrade or different tranny been used / found to replace the E4OD or should I just rebuild it ? Truck has a 351 in it .

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo TW,
Welcome!
We bought our 96 new and the E4OD still operates as new. We follow Ford's maintenance schedule for fluid changes.
Have it rebuilt with the upgrades made in through 96 model year, such as;
New Design Elastomeric-Type Gasket for the Bottom Pan TSB 96-3-22 for 96

New Design Intermediate Band Apply Servo Assembly TSB 95-23-14 for 89-96 Bronco, Vans & F Series

New Design Overdrive Clutch Piston Assembly TSB 96-21-15 for for some 96-97; Vehicles Built from 12/5/95 - 6/15/96

Reverse Clutch Piston And Piston Seal Usage Service Tip TSB 96-7-28 for 96

Revised Rear Case Bushing TSB 95-11-12 for 89-95 Bronco, Vans & F Series
Etc.

Compare Ford 93 E4OD reman wareanty, etc with local shops;
Screenshot_20200907-092615.jpg
I am sure that 5.8 E4OD IS SAME AS 5.0 IN 93.
â–¡â—‹â–¡

Was speed control, if equipped, recall work completed? Check @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @

Al

OP
OP
T

TW ‘s 93

Reaction score
Miesk5 - dude you just made my day, can't thank you enough for the knowledge. Info like this makes you feel better to know you have a solution. This site and you are awesome thanks. Funny you mention that speed control item brother. I called Bill Currie in Tampa and they essentially were resistant to going over the car after we got it back from the Kissimmee auction ?? Said it was too old. Then I called the guys at Parks Ford in Wesley Chapel and they were GREAT. They asked for the VIN and told me about that recall for the speed control and said they would be happy to work on the truck. While it was there last week getting every fluid in the vehicle changed
( there were no records provided with the car ) along with new shocks, they replaced the speed control too at no charge.
I figured flushing and changing the tranny fluid would either solve the noise we originally heard driving it out of the auction lot or make it worse so we could diagnose the issue. Lets just say Saturday when the wife and I were driving it, we got to option two. It started to make a noise like a check ball in the valve body was rattling around in it, then there was a loud whistling sound that rose in pitch and tapered off to silence. 5 minutes later in first gear both from a dead stop and decelerating to a stop, it was banging into gear. Not pretty.
I call Parks tomorrow and get a rebuilt ordered with your recommendations. I'll keep you posted.

Thank You

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
The issue with the E4OD is that Ford left the line pressure programed too low so it wears out the internals prematurely and creates excessive heat. My local rebuild shops like to use 4r100 parts to rebuild the E4OD. That seems to solve most (if not all) the issues these transmissions have. The E4OD is strong like the C6 it just doesn't go the distance. Trans-go shift kits also help with the line pressure issue and don't require reprogramming the factory PCM.

Also check out https://www.bestbuytransmission.com/e4od-transmission

Work ordered a transmission from this company for a Fleet truck and it works amazing. Been towing no problem.

chrlsful

Reaction score
like every automotive Q it is handeled by the APPLICATION answer. What will U use it for? What is the 80% driving condition...some choose an AOD (w/o the elec/puter, etc) others a 5 speed, 4R75W and so on...

pappy19

Reaction score
Just picked up a 93 bronco at Mecum with 43,000 on it. The seller seemed to forget to mention In their write up the tranny was hosed 😎. Car is low mileage and I’m keeping it but as I do my homework I understand the E4OD’s were a bit problematic. Has a potential upgrade or different tranny been used / found to replace the E4OD or should I just rebuild it ? Truck has a 351 in it .
It's a decent transmission, during the rebuild, add a Transgo shift kit and make sure to really flush all the lines. I added an extra filter from Summit Racing, it uses an oil filter.

OP
OP
T

TW ‘s 93

Reaction score
great question, highway driving and beach driving in Carova, NC ( the 4 wheel drive area of the Outer Banks.) Getting ready for retirement C and really wanted a retro SUV big enough to handle the wife's luggage, the dogs and my 1 backpack and toothbrush. I am a 70's through 90's car guy , wanted to go retro with a Bronco vs. a Tahoe which was the recommendation from quite a few friends. I was hoping low mileage would help condition. The seller had to know the tranny was bad but life goes on. NO off road, banging into trees and rocks. My Hagerty policy wont cover that anyway, so all good. Getting numbers from Ford dealer in Wesley Chapel for a reman, completely updated 4EOD. Let me know your thoughts man. The folks on this website have been great. Appreciate all the help.

OP
OP
T

TW ‘s 93

Reaction score
It's a decent transmission, during the rebuild, add a Transgo shift kit and make sure to really flush all the lines. I added an extra filter from Summit Racing, it uses an oil filter.
I'll ask the master tech at Parks Ford about adding that to the reman, see if it will void the warranty, it shouldn't. Their warranty is 3 years unlimited mileage, not too bad.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard that the Ford remans are pretty decent when comparing price vs quality. Plus nation wide warranty is pretty cool as well.

OP
OP
T

TW ‘s 93

Reaction score
Thanks Tiha you are correct, here is the status for all who have been so cool to respond. Total cost of a Ford Remanufactured unit, old one taken out, new one installed, updated from 93 specs to all the upgrades that have been made by Ford over the years to improve all known issues, will be about 5k. Parks Ford in Wesley Chapel has been great. The warranty is 3 years Unlimited Mileage. The unlimited mileage was pretty cool ! Everything else with the truck seems to be good. I just did the shocks, temp sensor, replaced all fluids, so should have some good reliability now for road trips for a 93 with 44,000 k on it. I'll keep you all posted when it gets done.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a pretty decent price for what you are getting.

Comparatively I just rebuilt the E4OD in my 95 diesel 4x4. I tried to get the best parts at budget prices. In parts alone I spent $2300.
1995 had most of the updates. Since it was my trans and I knew the history and the future for it I chose not to replace or upgrade many of the hard parts as they were acceptable for re use. I could have easily spent another $1000 on planetaries, shell, molded pistons. Input and center support and other upgrade parts. If it had not been a 95 I would have been buying a pump too at least.
So that is at least $3300 in just parts alone and that took me hours of online shopping and waiting. It took almost 2 months for all the parts to show up. If I put a value on time, or time down. what would that be worth to me? That price is without what another $100 in trans fluid?

You got all of that in your reman. from ford plus you didn't have to wait and have warranty, makes me feel like I made the wrong choice to do my own.

The important thing I am trying to portray is if I spent hours and hours of shopping and my rebuild cost $2300, then if a Trans shop says they are going to rebuild your E4OD for $3000 or less I promise that is a horrible quality rebuild and will not have a long life. Sure it may run for a while. It will be just fine if you are going to sell it or trade it in 10K miles. But if you want one to last you need to pony up and do it right. My first one lasted 170K and even then it wasn't undriveable. After rebuild I fully expect it to last at least another 170K plus.

OP
OP
T

TW ‘s 93

Reaction score
Thanks Tiha, man don't kick yourself over that. I wish I had the talent to tear transmissions apart and put them back together. I build motors from time to time but transmissions are a whole nuther world. You now know exactly what you have in that transmission, and there is peace of mind in that. I figured my best bet was Ford, the warranty sounded solid so bite the bullet and spend the money. Total was about $ 5,400 I think. They are getting the truck when I get back from vacation. I always try to do things with my cars the best way possible. If I can't they sit there till I can. I don't want the concern of driving around the country or locally and feel like I could break down at any moment.

chrlsful

Reaction score
"...the best way possible. If I can't they sit there till I can. I don't want the concern of driving around the country or locally and feel like I could break down at any moment...."
and I gotta do it all myself.
Glad you're on this route, I know it will wrk great for U (esp w/the average use as described.) Customizing not even needed...

OP
OP
T

TW ‘s 93

Reaction score
"...the best way possible. If I can't they sit there till I can. I don't want the concern of driving around the country or locally and feel like I could break down at any moment...."
and I gotta do it all myself.
Glad you're on this route, I know it will wrk great for U (esp w/the average use as described.) Customizing not even needed...
thanks man, wish I could rebuild trannys, need to watch guys who have done it. I'm looking for a lot of highway driving around the country to hit states and parks I've always wanted to go. Thinking it should be all set for that as well.

OP
OP
T

TW ‘s 93

Reaction score
Transmission Update - you'll love this one. reminder brand new re-manufactured transmission straight from ford somewhere........Drove the Bronco from Tampa to Naples Fl. Got off I 75 halfway for a coffee at Dunkin, while I waited at the light the car, in drive, when the light changed it wouldn't go, engine spinning felt like neutral. I had to shift into 1st manually, then second and then dump it into drive, that's the only way it worked. 100 miles on the transmission. It was like that all the way to Naples off the highway. On the highway it was fine tach at 2300 at 75 mph.
This morning I started it again, drove it, going into gear a bit rough but shifting, maybe it cooled off ? I have a brand new heavy duty tranny cooler as part of the work done. No leaking out the bottom of the truck, no fluid anywhere. This afternoon on the way back to the house I lost reverse.... lol, right now about 210 miles total on a brand new re-manufactured transmission. The saga continues folks. I'll keep you posted. It's going right back to Parks Ford in Wesley Chapel, thanks God for warranties. Let me know what you think is going on. I'm thinking I should have gone Blazer with a T 400....... ****

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds llike something didn't get installed correctly o_O

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke