E4OD Trans.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a question on my 96 Bronco XLT 5.8L, I know that I have a E4OD Trans and I just seviced it at 100,000 miles, it shifts smooth , I also added a 4oz's of Kendal Limited slip additive a tip from a trans rebuilder of 35 years. My concern is that before and after the seviceing, at crusing speed I notice the trans. feels like it is droping in and out of OD its not bad but I notice it as I am riding in town. Could this be a sign of future problem and is there any thing that I can do to help the trans. last a long time B)

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I have a question on my 96 Bronco XLT 5.8L, I know that I have a E4OD Trans and I just seviced it at 100,000 miles, it shifts smooth , I also added a 4oz's of Kendal Limited slip additive a tip from a trans rebuilder of 35 years. My concern is that before and after the seviceing, at crusing speed I notice the trans. feels like it is droping in and out of OD its not bad but I notice it as I am riding in town. Could this be a sign of future problem and is there any thing that I can do to help the trans. last a long time B)
George, I really don't know anything about auto transmissions, so I am also interested in the responses you get here.

The E4OD is computer controlled. I don't know all of the sensors that the computer uses to control the shifting but I am pretty sure that it uses the TPS, PSOM and the VSS. Take your truck to autozone or someother place that will scan it for codes for you. IF one of your sensors are flaky, that *may* be a part of your problem, otherwise I would think that it is the begginning of an internal problem.

joe

madmax

Reaction score
Really you should hit the overdrive cancel whenever your not planning on staying at more than 50 otherwise any little touch on the gas and it drops back down to 3rd, all those shifts take a tole on it. I've known a few people who were religious about only using OD on the highway and they got 180k or better before needing a rebuild.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Really you should hit the overdrive cancel whenever your not planning on staying at more than 50 otherwise any little touch on the gas and it drops back down to 3rd, all those shifts take a tole on it. I've known a few people who were religious about only using OD on the highway and they got 180k or better before needing a rebuild.
The only time I take mine out of OD is when I am going down a long grade and want the engine to hold me back so that I don't have to keep appling my brakes. I'm at nearly 150 k so far. I'm not proud of this, but I haven't even changed the trans oil and filter as often as is recommended. Just so you know... if it blows up on me tomorrow, it is all your fault ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

However, If the problem is that the trans is NOT locking into overdrive as it should; then not using it in town makes sense to me, unless there are sensor issues that need to be addressed as I mentioned earlier, and if in addressing those issues it clears the trans issue, THEN from my personal experience staying out of OD doesn't matter therefore that becomes a toss up and simply a personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
As Joe advised; have it scanned for DTCs at AutoZone; make sure they do both KOEO & KOER (with engine @ normal operating temperature) tests;

one possibility is a slightly mis-adjusted MLPS; but that should show a DTC and the CEL should light or the TCIL show flash (tran control indcator LED light on shifter)

Nagging Neutral Nonsense, Manual Manual Lever Position (MLPS) also called Transmission Range (TR) Sensor; DTCs 67 or 634. Some of the problems the MLPS can cause are wrong- gear starts, TCC hunting, no 4th gear, engine stalling, high or erratic line pressure & a sudden neutral condition. Source: by Pete L at transonline.com

OP
OP
George Coleman
Reaction score
I'm curious, what is the purpose of this? I've never heard of this "tip"
The additive helps the bands in the trans. by giveing a better contact surface, I also use a shuttergard additive in my Honda it is great how this stuff works. Smother shifts the differance is amazing.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Im with Madmax, your trans is gonna go into OD whenever it thinks your cruisin. Any little tap on the gas makes them kick back down a gear to get back into the power ban. My dad had an 80 GMC Pickup, first trans it had in it was an OD. It kicked in and out of OD alot, he added a switch on the dash to cut it off and it acted like a 3 speed transmission. You proabably have a switch from the factory, itll act like C6 if you turn it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

chilsonauto

Reaction score
Dont forget that the valve body may have a sticky valve or poor valve movement, or an internal leak not letting pressure hold. I kick my OD off in town..for sure. lighter throttle movement helps this condition. If I keep my foot out of it it ever happens. Reman valve bodies are not cheap..bout 315 last i checked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23