Door locks and door lock switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
If it is not too rainy and nasty out tomorrow, I think I will tackle my door locks.

They don't lock with the driver, nor the passenger switch.

It seems a little odd to me, but the driver's switch has six buttons, three each up and down, for the two windows and the locks. However the one most forward is red and blue for the passenger window, the middle is black and black for the driver's window, and the back one is red and blue (presumably for the door locks).

I looked at the Haynes wiring diagrams, and ofcourse the wire colors do not match what I have in my rig.

The rear most switch has three black wires. Is there a way to test the switch?

Does anyone have a link to troubleshooting the door lock mechanisms?

Thanks in advance

joe

Seabronc

Reaction score
I'll see if I can find a diagram for you. Problems with these switches are often caused by a broken wire where they go between the door and the truck, they can only flex so many times. Try tugging on them one at a time to see if one feels broken, you will probably feel the sheath stretch on a broken one. Check both side.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I pulled the door apart and looked at the locking guts as well as I could.

I am pretty sure that the switch is working. I pulled the plug from the actuator, and checked for voltage between the pins on the plug, there was none, or very little. When I pushed the switch, I burnt myself because the pin got real hot. OK.. So I am thinking THAT is NOT how I was suppossed to test it. Anyway, I discovered that there is a little plastic bracket that holds the actuator inplace, well at least until the plastic breaks!

Yep... that little plastic bracket is broken in both doors!

OK.. so I pulled the passenger actuator out to bench test it. I tried grounding the outer casing, and putting power to each of the two pins, and got nothing. I tried putting power to one lead and grounding the other, and still there was no action of the actuator. I thijnk that IF it were to work.. one of those scenarios would have done something.

Comments? Suggestions?

90windsor

Reaction score
i had the same problem, turns out somehow the coupler for the harness became loose and disconected, all i did was plug it back in and put the door back together, but then again the passenger side controls still worked.

jeffreyfrog

Reaction score
dont ever try to test some of wires,,maybe it will make a shortage then it will not work anymore.. try to check it out the relay or the battery..

arizona locksmiths

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23