door and window problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razorback

Reaction score
someone might be intetested in my experience. When I got my 87 fsb the passenger door would only open from the inside door handle. Also when I lowered the electric window, at about 60% open I would hear a gut wrenching metallic thwack and fear the window was shattered. I removed the door panels and found that there are four interconnected rods for the latch, the key lock, the inside handle, the outside handle, and the electronic lock actuator. The actuator was frozen, so its rod, and consequently all the rods were frozen. So when someone tried really hard to open the door with the key lock, the corresponding rod came loose. Therefore only the inside handle would open the door. Plus when the window was lowered it would catch on the loose rod, bend it until it snapped out of the way of the lowering window channel. On the drivers side the only issue was it was very stiff and difficult to lock or unlock. To resolve the problem I dis connecred the failed electronic opener rods of both doors, straightened the bent door lock rod on the passenger side and reconnected it to the key lock mechanism with a new rod connector. Now everything works smoothly and effortlessly. Someday I wilm replace and connect the electronic actuators. Hope this helps someone. Stay safe, follow the covid rules, it is too soon to ignore the doctors warnings.

JonD

Reaction score
Getting that lock actuator fixed/replaced seems impossible. My rod has disconnected and it won’t go back on. The actuator is riveted to the door and I can’t get my hand far enough in there to try and use a nut and bolt. Any ideas?

OP
OP
R

Razorback

Reaction score
Getting that lock actuator fixed/replaced seems impossible. My rod has disconnected and it won’t go back on. The actuator is riveted to the door and I can’t get my hand far enough in there to try and use a nut and bolt. Any ideas?
JohnD that rod has a 90 deg. bend at the end. it fits in to a hole in a lever, but first you need to fit a plastic retainer into the hole, then the rod into the retainer. part no. 40-1362 at LMC Truck. 45 cents. I made more room for my hand by removing the bolt that secures the window channel at the bottom of the door, and pushing the channel out of the way. first be sure the actuator rod moves freely up and down, and the actuator cylinder works. either a broken retainer or a frozen actuator probably caused the rod to . pop off the lever.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke