Driver Door Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ledzilla

Reaction score
So, it looks like there's an issue with the driver door. The other night, I took the Bronco out. No problems with the door at all. The next day, I open the driver door, then it doesn't want to shut. It just bangs against the latch rod/post/whatever. If I lift up the door and then close it, it will close just fine. Is there a way to readjust the door so that it'll close properly? Or am I looking at new parts? Because I'm not really sure how I'm going to successfully close the door from the inside right now. At best I figure maybe lift the handle through the window, but that's a weird angle to reach on and still lift.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
With the door open, lift up on the outside edge see if there is any play in the hinges. Kind of sounds like a hinge either came loose or the hinge pin finally wore through the bushing.

If that is the case you can get new hinge pins and bushings in the help section of your local parts store.

You can also adjust the striker on the door jamb but the body lines won't match and probably won't seal very well.

OP
OP
ledzilla

ledzilla

Reaction score
Ok, so I took a closer look at what's going on. Seems like it has to do with the position of the door. Fully open, where I can see the hinges, everything behaves. As soon as I close it enough beyond the point that holds the door open, that's when it starts to sag down. However, at that point I can no longer see what's going on with the hinge. So, likely bad hinge pins/bushings? Bronco Graveyard has those kits for $6 each, so I guess maybe I should play it safe and do both hinges.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I would do those pins and bushings first. Something had to move and that is the most common thing.

OP
OP
ledzilla

ledzilla

Reaction score
I have some replacement pins/bushings on order, which is fun. Don't think I've removed a door before, so this will be fun. I was thinking that I was going to use my engine hoist to support the door while fixing the hinges, supposing the boom lifts high enough. Anything I should know about removing the pins so I can avoid any unpleasant surprises?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Myself, when I do it. I do one hinge at a time and don't take the door off.

Support the open door with a floor jack and a 4x4 makes it easier to align without damaging paint afterwards.

but that is me.

Then you have the hinge out on the bench where you can pound, drill, cut hammer, whatever.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23