diamond plate aluminum panels...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cajunator

Reaction score
hey, i found on here and a couple other sites that the older broncos all have aluminum door panels everywhere to be found. i cant find anything for my 1990 does anybody know a site that i havnt found or maybe knows somebody that can whip some up for a decent price. id like to do the rear panels and the door panels, so i dont have to worry when i take the top off. i was thinking about getting a sheet of aluminum and trying to fab something up at the local metal shop, but if somebody has experience with this, i think that would save me some money and headache.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

The earlier year Broncos & trucks & esp the EB as you know, were ezier to fab up; here is what Mat did in his 83

doorpanel.jpg

Some have tried to fab em up for later year door panel such as your 90 and esp 92-96, but da curves!

massbronco wrote elsewhere a few years ago; "92-96 model i was trying to fab up the rear panels where the speakers go and the curves of the panels is what stopped my progress. i'd like to make the speaker section come out more where i can mount bigger and better speakers in. i tried to use some wood for the curves cut one peice for the top section and another for the bot section didn't look right to me so i stopped and left it with the speakers just sitting in the original spot not mounted..."

GL!

btw, some get a set from a yard and then use peel & seal or Dynamat over them; was thinking of the fake vinyl diamond plate; or is it made of pvc or rubber?

OP
OP
C

cajunator

Reaction score
hummm, idk, i was wanting it to be semi water proof so i dont have to worry about it when i take the top off this summer, i took the panel off yesterday to check out my power lock solenoid and i have an idea in mind to give it a shot. im just going with the stock speakers at the moment also. so what i was looking at, if i bend the top of the sheet at about a 45 then make a cut out for the arm rest and the power switches, i think that will work, the only big issue is how to do the door handle, but i guess i can always do it like the stock, and just glue that little brush looking stuff to make it look a bit nicer but then i still run into it not being water tight, so idk yet, kinda dont want to waste money on a sheet of aluminum if its not going to work out.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Water tight? What is it you are trying to protect? No door is completely water tight, that is why they have drain holes in the bottom, so that water getting inside through the window seals will drain out the bottom. You could protect the speakers better than they are, by putting a thin layer of plastic over them. Do you have plastic panels on both the door and interior sides?

:)>-

Krafty

Reaction score
just put a small amount of clear silicone on each of your exposed electrical connections to cover them up and essentially make it water proof. if your concerned about rust on the base metal then a thick layer of a durable waterproof paint is your best bet.

personally what I did was I removed my interior ( seats , carpet, insulation, speakers... the works) fixed all of my rusty areas on my floor. then everything the bottom of the windows down I covered in spray in bed liner. Worked great.

Now If your primary concern is it being water tight and not so much esthetics's, water will not go through metal, as it will not go through plastic, it will however go around metal , just like it will with plastic.

if you don't want your interior to get wet with the top off...... Don't drive in the rain.

OP
OP
C

cajunator

Reaction score
lol yeah, i just kinda wanted to protect the speakers, and the power locks and windows, but i guess i was going a bit overboard with it, but back to the problem at hand, anybody ever done an semi late bronco (1990) with the door panels, i think i can do it, just looking for experience

kschirman

Reaction score
I have a 1990 as well. let me know if you make this happen. the rear panels should be fairly easy, just trace the rear panels onto the diamond plate and cut carefully. Then drill your holes for mounting the speakers, armrest, mounting etc.

I agree wit miesk5 on the door panels, the curves could be tricky. Let me us know how it works out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23