Death Shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
Would rear end bearings cause a fairly alarming shake when i hit about 40-45ish mph? Ive had the rear u joint replaced about 2 years ago so i dont think its that and i know the bearings are on the way out...im just hoping its not coming from up front. Also it only shakes while maintianing speed or accelerating.

swampthing

Reaction score
if you get a loud humming from the rear then thats an indication that your bearings are on their way out...a bad u-joint will cause a vibration...check the u-joint first IMO.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Would rear end bearings cause a fairly alarming shake when i hit about 40-45ish mph? Ive had the rear u joint replaced about 2 years ago so i dont think its that and i know the bearings are on the way out...im just hoping its not coming from up front. Also it only shakes while maintianing speed or accelerating.
Describe the shake in greater detail. Is it a chassis shake, indicating the rear, or do you feel it in the steering wheel indicating something up front ? Rear bearings will cause a rumble or groaning sound and a vibration but not a shake, fronts will do the same but you'll *feel* it in your forearms. Driveshafts will cause a mild shake but usually not serious and so can pinion bearings and even out-of-balance wheels. Sometime you have tread-seperation on one or more wheels and that will cause a shake. You could easily be looking at something like a tie-rod end or ball-joints.

OP
OP
bluesman17

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
This is felt through the whole truck so I cant say its front or rear. In the past 2-3 years ive replaced all the ball joints, all u joints on ttb, rear u joint, front wheel bearings. Hearing something is near impossible for me with the exhaust going and the tires howling...

Broncobill78

Reaction score
This is felt through the whole truck so I cant say its front or rear. In the past 2-3 years ive replaced all the ball joints, all u joints on ttb, rear u joint, front wheel bearings. Hearing something is near impossible for me with the exhaust going and the tires howling...
Are you feeling it more thru the steering wheel or thru the seat ? How old are the tires ? Maybe tread seperation, I know for sure that *that* shakes you good w/36's.

wileec

Reaction score
I found the cause of my "death shake" as the driver side axle TTB hanger was loose I am glad I caught it if that had give way I do not know what would have happened. Worth looking at. The symtom was such that it was hard to tell where it was coming from but it happened mostly when slowing down on a down hill.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
It took me a little while to find this again but I *knew* we'd just gone over this a couple weeks ago. Take a look at this thread, does it sound familiar ? http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12211

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bluesman17

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
Drive shaft is tight...found a interesting new thing though, when i shift into second (or my dad does for me) smooth but as soon as its back in drive vibrating all the rust off my truck. A transmission problem would be fitting as its 1 month out of warranty.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Drive shaft is tight...found a interesting new thing though, when i shift into second (or my dad does for me) smooth but as soon as its back in drive vibrating all the rust off my truck. A transmission problem would be fitting as its 1 month out of warranty.
what's the tranny mount look like ?

OP
OP
bluesman17

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
**** if i know, burned my arm on the exhaust just checking the drive shaft. My dad added the point that maybe the rear brakes are catching just enough since the e brake line is frozen so im going to try that saturday and if not that its onto a garage.

Krafty

Reaction score
Hey man I had a terrible shake like that just a little while ago, and it was a U-joint, but just hear me out, there are 3 u joints in a rear driveshaft on the early 80's ones and turns out my front U-joint on rear shaft seized melted and welded itself to the collar and yoke, it was a mess to tear apart but, I also didn't see it the first time either.

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
a while ago, a buddy of mine was drivin along in his explorer and he got a serious death shake. turns out his rear wheel bearings went bad and they had to replace damn near the whole rear end.

dw22nc

Reaction score
mine had the death shake my driveshaft was destroyed i am trying to replace mine soon

madmaysey

Reaction score
replacing the rear u-joint is a farly easy job right?

i ask because i saw notice of having a shop rebuild the driveshaft....just from looking at it i think i can replace the u-joint without even completely removing the driveshaft...am i in over my head?

90windsor

Reaction score
replacing the rear u-joint is a farly easy job right?i ask because i saw notice of having a shop rebuild the driveshaft....just from looking at it i think i can replace the u-joint without even completely removing the driveshaft...am i in over my head?
yes it is very easy. you will need to remove the whole driveshaft and put in on your workbench or in a vise. the rear is acually the easier of the 3.

all you need is a c clamp, peice of pipe, screwdriver or needlenose pliers, and a 3/4 inch crappy socket, a hammer and a vise.

easiest route to go:

pop off all the g-clips

put the c-clamp on one of the caps and crank down on it by using the piece of pipe as a breaker bar to turn the c-clamp using the socket to pop them out

you can also do this in a vise if you do not have a c-clamp

repeat for all 4. (if it does not work go to autozone and rent a ball-joint puller set and hit it with the impact and they will come right out)

good luck!

the c-clamp worked on my 1990, but i had to rent the puller on my dads 2002 pickup! lol rusted (its a gmc) :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

madmaysey

Reaction score
so the u-joint puller makes life alot easier?

im thinking just skip everything else and rent the puller especially since its free

paintballdude902

Reaction score
one thing worth checking is the balance, how long ago did you get new tires on the truck?

mine has a shake now but the tires are about 6 years old and i dont have tire weights on any of my rims inside or outside.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23