Dana 20 slipping out of gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

66fordBronco

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I could use some help with my dana 20. About a year ago I had a NV3550 transmission installed on my 66 Bronco along with twin sticks for my 66 Dana 20 transfer case. Ive had a problem with the twin sticks not engaging the T-Case properly. I can get it into 2 HI but not into 4 HI because the front axle stick just bends. It doesn't pivot like its supposed to and if I mess with it long enough the pivot ***** that hold the shifters together becomes loose no matter how tight I get it. I could really use some help!!!

Thank you

chrlsful

Reaction score
jeesh. Well, I'm one that sez 'make 1 change at a time, otherwise U can't tell which one hurt". I assume it's w/the twin stix. No need for doin that to a perfectly fine arrangement.
Who put it in? Did they place the swing-out tire carrier's lill plastic bushings in the "hold'em on there bolts". Sometimes prts are left out that R important. Who's twin stick's R they (vendor)? If the lever binds may B there's a force-it situation rather than a smooth situation (lack of oil, linkage clashing w/itself, the 'pills' were not swapped, etc).

Hard for this guy to diagnose frm afar~
try the ex - spurts, CB dot com? ('ex' isa has been, 'spurt' is H2O under pressure). Post on their transfer Q forum...

OP
OP

66fordBronco

Reaction score
jeesh. Well, I'm one that sez 'make 1 change at a time, otherwise U can't tell which one hurt". I assume it's w/the twin stix. No need for doin that to a perfectly fine arrangement.
Who put it in? Did they place the swing-out tire carrier's lill plastic bushings in the "hold'em on there bolts". Sometimes prts are left out that R important. Who's twin stick's R they (vendor)? If the lever binds may B there's a force-it situation rather than a smooth situation (lack of oil, linkage clashing w/itself, the 'pills' were not swapped, etc).

Hard for this guy to diagnose frm afar~
try the ex - spurts, CB dot com? ('ex' isa has been, 'spurt' is H2O under pressure). Post on their transfer Q forum...
Yes they are twin sticks from Wild Horses 4x4 and I was the one who installed them. I just finished rebuilding my Dana 20 so I know everything internally is good but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Seabee1966/1994

Reaction score
Try replacing the detent springs and ball w/ new ***** bolts from Toms Offroad.
I also forgot to say, since your Bronco is a 1966 your detent springs are more than certain worn out. The kit only costs about $15.00. The bottom detent is easy to replace, but the top detent you will have to cut a large hole in the tunnel cover or drop the transfer case.

chrlsful

Reaction score
"...new ***** bolts from Toms..." TBS, Toms Bronco, etc is no longer...ford took away their name due to the new Division...all the typical vendor got "the letter".

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Chris,
I
Right on!
Tom's is now https://tomsoffroad.com/?gclid=Cj0K...anU7njhIzo6ZCVRrzqcTrnZx0ULSaxMYKyZI0AaAjoHEA
Lw_wcB

EDITED FOLLOWING; (thank you chrlsful for alerting me to recent Russian hackers who are running rampant!)
It's not the first time Ford threatened parts suppliers as well as DIYers who used the Ford Bronco name.
One was a very good F___ Fuel Injection guru, Ryan who had this DIY Web Site. Here is his Recovered site; http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/
Nearly everything is appIicable to full size Broncos.

Last edited:

chrlsful

Reaction score
2 very cool sites (may have been to them, seem familure). Hada go to the WayBack Mo`chien.
Ur an admin miesk, what is this lill side trip my browzer takes w/every link from this site. Coupla times (the Navy bronk thread) it ended up ona flee bay error page... russian writting on it, blk background orange lettering (some Harley spammer?). aahahahaa

like said: contact the seller, its a mod (all ways probs when goin off script) & theirs. "Wild Horses 4x4" is pretty reliable. Bronco Haven (now sold but, in Castle Rock, CO) & Nor'east classic ford Prts are a coupla guys I stay away from. If U left out some bushings (2 frm the spare tire rack some put in here) or other details (Y I don't need that stuff or most the rest) you are SOL.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
2 very cool sites (may have been to them, seem familure). Hada go to the WayBack Mo`chien.
Ur an admin miesk, what is this lill side trip my browzer takes w/every link from this site. Coupla times (the Navy bronk thread) it ended up ona flee bay error page... russian writting on it, blk background orange lettering (some Harley spammer?). aahahahaa

like said: contact the seller, its a mod (all ways probs when goin off script) & theirs. "Wild Horses 4x4" is pretty reliable. Bronco Haven (now sold but, in Castle Rock, CO) & Nor'east classic ford Prts are a coupla guys I stay away from. If U left out some bushings (2 frm the spare tire rack some put in here) or other details (Y I don't need that stuff or most the rest) you are SOL.
Yo chrlsful,
Thanks for that info on the two sites!
com/
For Ryan's FORD FUEL INJECTION DIY SITE SEE http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo Chris,
I
Right on!
Tom's is now https://tomsoffroad.com/?gclid=Cj0K...anU7njhIzo6ZCVRrzqcTrnZx0ULSaxMYKyZI0AaAjoHEA
Lw_wcB

EDITED FOLLOWING; (thank you chrlsful for alerting me to recent Russian hackers who are running rampant!)
It's not the first time Ford threatened parts suppliers as well as DIYers who used the Ford Bronco name.
One was a very good F___ Fuel Injection guru, Ryan who had this DIY Web Site. Here is his Recovered site; http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/
Mike I went to that sight and they have if for sale.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo Chris,
I
Right on!
Lw_wcB

Mike I saw a reply from you yesterday in Russian also. Hope your eyes are doing better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke