dana 20 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeiam82

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently came across some used parts. A c4 auto with adaptors bolted to a dana 20 T shift t-case. A fellow bronco owner near me told me he thought all autos were j shift and that the t-cases were auto and manual spacific. Is there any truth to this cause now we have each other second guessing ourselves. I thought t shift was the only t-case until the the j shift replaced it.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
'72 last year for "T"

'73 on.., were "J" shift.

I believe there were autos prior to '73 but can't sware to it.

The trannie output goes into the "adaptor".., the adaptor output plugs into the D-20.

So I would say they're all the same.., the exception would be te gear ratios in the older T-cases were lower in low range.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

mikeiam82

Reaction score
Thats what I thought. Would it be possible to take all the gears from a j shift and put them into a t shift?

OP
OP
M

mikeiam82

Reaction score
I guess I should not have confused the issue by saying "adaptors", it is a stock driveline bolted together. Just looked on broncograveyard they sell main drive gears, looks like according to them 66-72 t used 1 type, 73-74 j used another and 75-77 used another. So it is possible the spud shaft in those years are diff making the main drive gear diff.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948