Custom Flip-Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WABronc

Reaction score
Howdy,

So I found this universal unlock remote on amazon for $17 so I bought it and spent memorial day wiring it up. The antenna is kind of short and sitting inside a metal door so the range is very short but the key is good quality and I'm happy with it. I could probably move the antenna for greater range. I didn't wire up the trunk release.

Anyway, I figured this is great I can just get the key cut for the bronco and have a way better setup! Wrong... The blank is the wrong shape, and worse, it seems like I can't find a key blank that will fit (auto specific locksmith didn't have them either.) The key shape is "H54" picture of key but I need a blade key with a little slot for the set screws to hold it in the remote.

Any ideas on what I can do? Maybe I'm just not good enough at google to find the flip key blades that match?

I have three sets of keys so I guess I may try to just hack away the square end of one of these H54 keys and make my own blade shape. Not sure how difficult that would be.

OP
OP
W

WABronc

Reaction score
Forgot to add: 1994 Eddie Bauer Bronco, 151k miles, 5.8L V8.

If anyone is interested in how the wiring went for the control unit I'm happy to share. Short of it is that the door lock actuators have two wires to them, and sending +12V to one of them will lock, the other will unlock. Took a long time to realize that the simplest thing to do is to wire the control unit outputs straight to the lock control wires instead of messing with the wiring on the driver side switch panel.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Remote device wiring can be overwhelming. Nice work.

The blade key is tough. The Ford key is so thin and long. Not sure how that will work.

Would it be easier to try and modify a tumbler assembly from a vehicle that takes a blade key?

OP
OP
W

WABronc

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I could try swapping out the ignition and door cylinders for something else, but that would at least be the more expensive option. Still not sure what I'll do but I'll keep y'all posted.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that you bought stuff already how about going completely to push button start? Or modifying a remote start?

You would have to remove the Steering wheel lock, but you could do away with the ignition switch all together.

OP
OP
W

WABronc

Reaction score
Success! I took a metal H54 key and I cut it with a hacksaw into the shape I wanted, then finished with a dremel tool. Cut a slot for the set screws as well and made two keys. Working great so far. If I have any trouble with the key getting loose I plan on just gluing it in there.

1654615601299.png

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
That is awesome work.

Hope it is strong enough to hold up. Be sure to report back!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Success! I took a metal H54 key and I cut it with a hacksaw into the shape I wanted, then finished with a dremel tool. Cut a slot for the set screws as well and made two keys. Working great so far. If I have any trouble with the key getting loose I plan on just gluing it in there.

View attachment 30051
What people will do. To be seen in a FORD. HAHAHAHA

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke