Crossmember

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biggnat79

Reaction score
I just bought a B&M transmission pan for my AOD and I cant get to the rear holes to install the bolts because of the crossmember. Will a little grinding damage the integrity of the crossmember? (By little I mean about 1" off for the length of the drainpan)?

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
Kind of poor planning on that part, wasn't it? I've always just used a 1/2" combination wrench, getting little turns at a time. Slow, but effective, and much faster than trimming, or removing, the crossmember, just to get at a few bolts

If you just bought the deep pan, I don't think it'll fit, unless it's been recessed at the rear, to clear that crossmember

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

biggnat79

Reaction score
Yeah, I havent always been known for my ability to think things through. Thats how I ended up in the military. It fits on there. Snugly, but it fits. I just cant get my fat fingers in between the pan and the crossmember to install the last two bolts. All I need is about in inch off, maybe less, and Ill be able to get the bolts in.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yeah, or just notch the two spots for the bolts and use a socket instead of your "fat" fingers to get the bolts up into the pan.

OP
OP
B

biggnat79

Reaction score
I made two notches just big enough for the bolt to fit through and finally got the bastards on. Filled it up and took it out for a test ride. There is a small amount of fluid leaking out at the gasket in the rear, so I am going to head to the store and pick up the hex head socket that I need to put a little more torque on the bolts. Cant quite turn it tight enough with my allen wrench. Was shifting like a champ though, and the pan wasnt nearly as hot after the ride as the stock pan would get. Thanks for the help for those who replied.

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
As I'm sure you're aware, don't tighten the pan too tight, only enough to begin to squich the pan gasket, anymore than that, and it's guaranteed to leak

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23