Cold Air Intake.... Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RIguy

Reaction score
Thus far it seems that K&N has the best quality intakes. Would anyone disagree??

Also, would it be better to buy the filter and construct the intake with some pvc?? Or cough up the dough for the real things?

PAbronco

Reaction score
ehhh.. i have one just cause someone threw it in with something else i bought on craigs to sweeten up the deal. worth it to me cause i got it for free basically but after a week you wont even really notice the power gain anymore, im not saying its not there just its a smalllll gain. and mpgs.. well not really any better.

pvc.. if you already have a red neck rig id go for it i guess haha

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"Cold Are Intake.... Worth It?"

NO...

"Thus far it seems that K&N has the best quality intakes. Would anyone disagree??"

Yes... what's wrong with factory unit....is it gone..?

Do this... Do a milage MPG test.

Take your air filter off or out of it's box. Run 'round (same test area) a few days & check your milage... :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
My response to your question is NO, unless it is done for for better air flow needed due to other mechanical changes that require more air flow than your stock system can supply.

Every snake oil salesman promises improved HP if you buy their gadget. The only real effect that most of the gadgets have is to make your wallet lighter, which in it's self will improve your MPG because your engine will not be pulling around so much weight, or maybe it just averages out :lol: .

You can't get any colder air than the stock system is capable of supplying. In fact, if it is taking it's air from under the hood it is a HOT air intake not a Cold air intake. The KN design is intended to provide better air flow than a stock paper filter. Unless you have modified your engine to require more air at wide open throttle, the stock system is capable of supplying all the air your stock engine capable of choking down. Besides that, if you live in a cold area of the country, the stock system is designed to preheat the air for better cold start and run characteristics. When the air is cold outside, you need the preheat in order to help the fuel vaporize before getting to the cylinders otherwise it doesn't burn efficiently, it just gets spit out the tail pipe. It is also possible to cause icing inside the intake under certain air temperature and moisture conditions, preheat also prevents that and on some engines they have added a plate to the intake that runs the hot water from your cooling system through it to reduce the possibility of intake icing, (it's not there to cool the intake). Not all those systems attached to your engine are for pollution control and even modifying those can have a negative effect.

So what I'm trying to say is that before you just randomly remove things that the factory engineers designed, you need to spend some time understanding the system, what it is designed to accomplish and what the positive vs negative effects are of modifying them. I know that response won't win many popularity contests, but it's true.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to get you to think :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

Good luck no matter what you do to your truck.

:)>-

OP
OP
R

RIguy

Reaction score

OP
OP
R

RIguy

Reaction score
One- Cannot believe I spelled air wrong

Anyways, is their much a difference sound wise? I have a 5.8L v8 and twin pipes that rumble. Would a good CAI increase my sound? What about MPG? I do not have the best with 9 total inches of lift and 39s

Krafty

Reaction score
if you want good mpg you are driving the wrong vehicle my friend.

I doubt the intake changes will change exhaust sound, if you want a better rumble get a cam and lifter kit.

Captain D

Reaction score
My honest answer is I don't know. I did the 6L tune,opened up the exhaust and added a K&N cold air intake.All the mods gave me about 1.5mpg increase. It seems a little more responsive, but could be the better sound with the Flowmaster that encourages me. So,with 5000mi of driving, I saved 30 gals of gas or about $90.So is it worth it,not really.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Pretty much all agree...there's no magic here...

As I said., take your pres. filter out....will your MPG improve... not likely..

Soooo..., a K&N filt. (or any other brand) the size of a football field won't change anything either.

Having said that, you're not likely to find a K&N owner, that won't say "a miracle happened".. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> [-o<

It's your $$$

B

BIG ACE

im changing my fuel and air filter today, thanks for the posts

Robertwesley

Reaction score
My response to your question is NO, unless it is done for for better air flow needed due to other mechanical changes that require more air flow than your stock system can supply.

Every snake oil salesman promises improved HP if you buy their gadget. The only real effect that most of the gadgets have is to make your wallet lighter, which in it's self will improve your MPG because your engine will not be pulling around so much weight, or maybe it just averages out :lol: .

You can't get any colder air than the stock system is capable of supplying. In fact, if it is taking it's air from under the hood it is a HOT air intake not a Cold air intake. The KN design is intended to provide better air flow than a stock paper filter. Unless you have modified your engine to require more air at wide open throttle, the stock system is capable of supplying all the air your stock engine capable of choking down. Besides that, if you live in a cold area of the country, the stock system is designed to preheat the air for better cold start and run characteristics. When the air is cold outside, you need the preheat in order to help the fuel vaporize before getting to the cylinders otherwise it doesn't burn efficiently, it just gets spit out the tail pipe. It is also possible to cause icing inside the intake under certain air temperature and moisture conditions, preheat also prevents that and on some engines they have added a plate to the intake that runs the hot water from your cooling system through it to reduce the possibility of intake icing, (it's not there to cool the intake). Not all those systems attached to your engine are for pollution control and even modifying those can have a negative effect.

So what I'm trying to say is that before you just randomly remove things that the factory engineers designed, you need to spend some time understanding the system, what it is designed to accomplish and what the positive vs negative effects are of modifying them. I know that response won't win many popularity contests, but it's true.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to get you to think :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

Good luck no matter what you do to your truck.

:)>-
Well presented and factual reply! 👍

ragtop69

Reaction score
I can assure you that a high performance filter or any cold air intake will NOT make a SOP difference in the way your Bronco performs or a dent in the "as designed" lousy gas mileage.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke