changed battery now no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jramirez35

Reaction score
Changed battery out because it was bad and now vehicle will not start on my 90 5.0. Vehicle was fine before the swapout which is baffling me. Replaced EEC power relay and FP relay with no change. Performed M5's fuel pump relay test at the diagnostic port after finding it from searching the forum. The relay energizes but the fuel pump does not. I press the inertia switch to make sure it is functioning and it appears good. PCM issue? if so, how do i test this out? Have breakout box to connect and can check things out pin to pin if necessary.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

Did you check FP Relay Socket for corrosion and any loose wires?

USE THESE DIAGRAMS TO TEST FOR POWER AT RELAY TO PUMPS AND @ inertia switch & pump

Wiring Diagram in a 90 Bronco & F Series Source: by Chilton[/url]

Wiring Diagram in a 90; FP & EEC Power Relay

Source: by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB)

1990-bronco-fpr-and-eec-relay.jpg

Check Grounds

G100 LH side of Radiator support; G101 RH side of Radiator support; G102 RH side of Radiator support; G103 LH rear side of engine near knock sensor; G104 LH rear side of engine compartment, near electronic engine control (EEC) module, on the left fender close to the firewall; G105 LH Side of engine; G106 RH fender apron, near voltage regulator; G107 RH fender apron, at starter relay; G108 RH fender apron, at voltage regulator; G109 RH fender apron; G201 LH rear side of I/P (looking at the diagram it is at the bottom of the driver's side dash assembly. Screwed to the bottom edge, just to the left of the steering column. It is the ground for the instrument cluster); G202 Behind RH cowl panel; G203 RH rear side of radiator support; G204 On steering column; G205 Behind Center of I/P (Dash); near speed control amplifier; G400 LH side of cargo area; near rear light assembly; G401 Below LH side of cargo area; near crossmember; G500 Inside driver's door; near left door speaker Locations in a 90 from 90 Bronco EVTM

by BroncoJoe19 (Joe) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15413

Ground Location Diagrams, Engine Area in a 90 from EVTM

Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20487/76450

G100 1990-bronco-component-location-view.jpg

G100 component-location-1990-bronco.jpg

G801 is located on the LH inner fender behind the headlamp & joins @ Splices near driver side brake light assy

Testing; "...A better test is to check the fuel pump relay when cranking the engine over. Not the 2 second run after the key is turned on, but while cranking the engine. If the fuel pump relay kicks on when cranking, the TFI & Stator are good..."

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at oldfuelinjection.com

OP
OP
jramirez35

jramirez35

Reaction score
all grounds are connected and tight...even took some of them off and sanded bare metal to make sure of it. No changes...took out inertia switch and it is functioning fine. disengaging it with a good shake of the hand to move the ball bearing around inside and it is showing open. push switch and i get 0 ohms. can i apply 12 v directly to the pump to find out if it is functioning or not?

OP
OP
jramirez35

jramirez35

Reaction score
wait just read post from you again M5...last line says to turn over and see if fp relay turns on to see if TFI and stator are good. why is that in the mix at all? havent done but on my way now to do it. ok i feel the relay energize when my boy turns engine over. this is a pump isnt it?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo J,

Yes, check for batty voltage at pump

Connector Location in Frame Rail Diagram in a 90

Source: by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB) at 1990-component-location-view-15111.jpg

Operational Sequence; "...The Control Module (PCM) runs the pump{s} for one second when it receives an ignition- on signal. It also runs the pumps as long as it receives a PIP signal from the Hall-effect devices, it continues pump operation even after the key is released from START. If the PIP signals fall below 120RPM, the control module (EEC)cuts off the signal to the fuel pump relay. The pump will also run when the terminals of the fuel pump test connector are jumped.

the Control module signals the pump when it receives a CRANK signal, and when the Control module gets PIP signals that the engine is running. the pump does not run if the PIP indicates the engine is not running even with ignition ON {except for that first one second

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jramirez35

jramirez35

Reaction score
i gotta drop the tank for this don't I? trying to see a quick disconnect with a mirror and I dont see it...is that C411? On the diagram it is just saying fuel pump/fuel sender connector. Would you recommend making a "door" for this from the top. I am sure i gotta be real careful with that tank underneath but i just cant see myself getting this back in the frame with any fuel in it once it comes down. i am sure it is heavy enough without the fuel in the mix of things.

OP
OP
jramirez35

jramirez35

Reaction score
didnt know there were two pumps...is there one besides the one in the fuel tank? if so where is it.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
i gotta drop the tank for this don't I? trying to see a quick disconnect with a mirror and I dont see it...is that C411? On the diagram it is just saying fuel pump/fuel sender connector. Would you recommend making a "door" for this from the top. I am sure i gotta be real careful with that tank underneath but i just cant see myself getting this back in the frame with any fuel in it once it comes down. i am sure it is heavy enough without the fuel in the mix of things.

yo

Yes it is Connector C411

See this diagram showing Pump + & PUMP - locations on connector

fdm.jpg

+ wire is Brown

Check the Grounds

I would fab a fuel pump access hole,

Fabrication by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/212/66211

Disconnect the wiring at the connector.

Remove all dirt from the area of the sender.

Disconnect the fuel lines.

Turn the locking ring counterclockwise to remove it. There is a wrench designed for this purpose. If the wrench is not available, you can loosen the locking ring by placing a WOOD dowel against on the the tabs on the locking ring and hammering it loose. NEVER USE A METAL DRIFT!

Lessons Learned

Source: by digitalbill

1: If you decide to put in a cheap fuel pump, you are probably going to have to replace it within a year. Either spend the extra money on a really good one or, cut an access door in the bed.

2: Get the right tools for the job. Fuel line removal tools are very cheap and will save you hours of aggravation

3: If you decide to cut an access door, see if you can borrow a 110V angle grinder or an air operated one (if you have access).

I used my 18V ryobi and while it worked fine with the cutoff wheel, I have three batteries and, starting at full charge on all three, they all had to go back on the charger twice before I was finished cutting.

4: Speaking of cutting.. .I have the stock lift so I was scared to go too deep. I was right. the vent line is about 1 inch (if that) from the bottom of the bed. I didn't hit it but, that would have sucked.

5: Safety first. I kept a garden hose stuffed up on the top of the tank with it on "mist" to keep everything wet. I don't know if it helped or not but, no fires and there were LOTS of sparks. Eye protection goes without saying...

6: Taking the retaining ring off is easy.

Putting it back on? Not so much. I bent the "starter" tabs at just a little bit of a downward angle with needle nose plyers and it made putting it back on quite easy.

7: I do not have a patch panel yet so, I cut three sides of the access panel and then just "scored" the 4th side (drivers side) so I could open it up like a door. It is currently closed and duct tape in on the edges until I can get a proper cover for it.

8: Also, the edges are sharp. let me clairify.

YOU WILL GET CUT!!!!!!! Either wear gloves or file down the edges BEFORE screwing with the pump itself

==============

Panel Attachment pics in a 90; "...Notice that I only cut three sides of the access panel and then bent the panel up to access the fuel pump. Once I was done I bent the panel back into place. I went to Ace Hardware and purchased the straight steel bar that fit perfectly between the ridges in the truck bed (I belive it 10" long by 3/4 inch wide by 3/8 inch thick). The holes for the screws were already predrilled into the steel bar when I purchased them. I used short self tapping screws to secure the bar to the truck bed and the panel. Make sure you do not use screws that are too long or you will end up screwing into the tank or fuel lines! Caulked it up. You an barely tell the panel is there. Covered it again with my vinyl flooring, put the trim back on and good as new - well at least as good as it was before I started..."

Source: by jesusfrk at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20985/71111

you can cut a larger patch panel out of any 80-96 Bronco or F Series

Our Sponsor Jeff's Bronco Graveyard has this Patch Panel, 48 in. x 16 in.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-34094-rear-bed-patch-panel-48in-x-16in-.html F350

and your 90 has one pump, in-tank

Two pumps were used up to 89

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23