Cats or no Cats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
Hey guys,i usually just deal with the big bronco side....But my wife just bought a 98 explorer with the 4.0 sohc motor....It runs and drive good but she wanted me to check out a little exhaust leak and found that both cats had been cut out....The owner had said it need an O2 sensor....but the question is should i reinstall them or leave it alone and just fix the leak and double check the O2 sensor to see which one needs to be replaced... They run about $80 bucks per side....The ford techs that i work with say i should reinstall them...say it won't be running in a complete closed loop circuit???It dose have a slight miss but no emisson light or check engine lamp on...the miss i'm sure is the bosch pluge he put in....ford's just don't run well on them....any help would be great..... B)

Thanx,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

2NDTOUR89

Reaction score
I would say put the cats back in. If the guy that sold it to you said that you only needed an O2 and didnt tell you he cut the cats out, he might have also taken out the bulb for the check engine light. I would run a code scanner on it and see what it says but definately put the cats back in otherwise it wont run right. And I agree, the miss is probably the Bosch plugs, I have had similar issues running Bosch in Fords...

92bronco_in_progress

Yeah its a 92 bronco
Reaction score
Hey guys,i usually just deal with the big bronco side....But my wife just bought a 98 explorer with the 4.0 sohc motor....It runs and drive good but she wanted me to check out a little exhaust leak and found that both cats had been cut out....The owner had said it need an O2 sensor....but the question is should i reinstall them or leave it alone and just fix the leak and double check the O2 sensor to see which one needs to be replaced... They run about $80 bucks per side....The ford techs that i work with say i should reinstall them...say it won't be running in a complete closed loop circuit???It dose have a slight miss but no emisson light or check engine lamp on...the miss i'm sure is the bosch pluge he put in....ford's just don't run well on them....any help would be great..... B)
Thanx,

Steve

if the CEL light is on for the O2 sensor its probably because the cats are gone, i would replace them.....especially if you live in a state like i do

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23