Cat. question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny Wayne

Reaction score
My bronco has only 1 cat on it. now the question is the cat I have has the air tube on top. Well stupid me ordered one that did not have the tube on it. Is the tube something I can close off and put the other cat on or will that give some code or something like that.

Let me know thanks.

1990 Bronco, 5.8, Bassani header 2 1/2, and then 3 inch cat back with Cherry Bomb

Thanks

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
You can look if the current cat has the tube hooked into your headers, but I doubt it.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Doesn't that tube on the cat connect to the air-pump ? On My other Bronco's w/cat's that was the supply line for the air input from the air-pump. I don't think it will throw any codes but the emissions may be off without the air-injection from the pump.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
BB78, you're probly right.I was thinking the line runs to or along the passngr-side exhaust manifold, and does have a hose going to the AIR or smog pump. Not going to affect the motor, just the emissions.

Jersey

Reaction score
Didn't some of them have a crossover manifold that ran to the back of each head? If it does you can just take it off and put plugs in the holes. I can't remember for sure but I could have sworn i saw that setup a few years.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
JW, I'll see if I can find a diagram for you. In the meantime, you might look at Miesk5's Homepage. The link is in the Tech Articles forum, JSM84

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Here's a couple linksthat may help, or might confuse you further:

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=147

Scroll through until you read the emissions info and continue looknig up to nearly the last page.

Here's a simpler diagram of the cat tube up to the y-pipe from the AutoZone online manual:

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/09008...irInfoPages.htm

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/09008...irInfoPages.htm

There should also be a diagram or two of the upper section. Prolly just easier to look on your Bronco, and see if the stock tube is still hooked up, or was removed when the headers were installed. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Didn't some of them have a crossover manifold that ran to the back of each head? If it does you can just take it off and put plugs in the holes. I can't remember for sure but I could have sworn i saw that setup a few years.
Yup, they sure do. My 88' has that (not that it's connected to anything, just sits there burning up wiring & plugs while spewing a cloud of smoke every time I blip the throttle). Now I'm not sure just how this all plays out. If the Cat that was ordered DIDN'T have a provision for an air intake then perhaps it was a newer cat that *doesn't* need air injection (or maybe an older one that didn't yet have the provision) I think the only way to tell will be to sniff it after the fact. It really may not make a difference, the cat *should* catch & convert most of the emissions & if it doesn't have an air-tube then it wasn't intended to be air-injected. IF this combo gets you thru your State Inspection then you should be able to remove the air-pump & replace it with an idler pulley and gain a few ponies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23