carb and kick down rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78BigBlockBronco

Reaction score
in the 1978 bronco I just got it has a 460 in it with an edelbrock performer intake and a holley 600cfm carb which I think is to small, and also the kick down rod is not connected to the carb either, just wondering if y'all have any suggestions on either one of these issues

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
RU sure it's a 460..? Those yrs. came with smallblock 400's as I recall.

"and also the kick down rod is not connected to the carb either"

Why not..? Does it appear to be to short..?

That rod is a good part of the overall performance of the trannie.

Elmo

Reaction score
as far as i know ford never produced a smallblock 400. every one that i have ever seen have been bigblocks. ???

Elmo

Reaction score
thanks knew that chevy had a SB 400 but didnt know about ford. thanks i learned something today. I been reading and from what i see the 351muses the same block as the 400 and both are smallblocks. But some 400 did have a dual bellhousing bolt pattern. I always thought the 351m/400 was a BB i was wrong. thanks BullyBob

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
when i upgraded to an edelbrock performer intake and 4bbl, i also had to buy an adapter kit from them, to fit the 'special' ford transmission kickdown lever, just look up the carb manual online and you should be able to find part numbers. you may need to add your own custom extension on the lever, i just bolted on a thin aluminum piece bout 4in long. and ive heard others have the same problem with similar upgrades.

as for the size of your carb, 600cfm is plenty for a stock motor, even with the performer intake. if you plan on building the engine up to race or for fun, you could go up to a 750. but simply bolting a bigger carb to a stock engine is just ****** in the wind, unless your gonna start replacing the timing set, camshaft, heads or at least a pair of headers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat