C6 shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

captsb890

Reaction score
My C6 was overhauled by AAMCO--had it back many times and still shifts poorly------------When I stop and put it in L1 it takes off smoothly, at around 20 I manually shifts into 2nd and it is nice and smooth----then at around 30/35 shift it to D3 and it stumbles and sounds like engine breaking up, shakes--------------I took it to another transmission place and they checked the vacuum and it is 17 (has 202,000 miles with valves done at 135,000) and they adjusted the modulator---said that is the best they could do----still has the problem and if just taking off in D3 normal, it will hesitate and hangs there trying to shift into 3 and taking my foot off the pedal, a little bit helps but it shifts hard.
Seems to shift better when the transmission is cold but when it heats up it is very pronounced. They also adjusted the TV cable to get it to shift earlier---
It is running dextron fluid and when at first I asked AAMO about the fluid they said Dextron 2 in it then after going back he said dextron 5 in it ??-----Now would putting the 100% synthetic F 30 make a difference on shifting as it handles heat much better and is a heavier weight fluid and the molecules are smaller--??? Any suggestions?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Capts,
Unfortunately, AAMCO!

89 5.8 should have the C6. C6 has the Vacuum Modulator
89 5.0 should have AOD. TV Cables are used in AOD Transmissions.
In mid-1977 C-6 was converted to Dexron/Mercon fluid. Look at the dipstick, it will list the fluid or an M2C138-CJ specification, which is for Dexron/Mercon.

20200225_085456.jpg
Screenshot_20200225-083752.jpg

?hash=bd7fc52ea0abc21dbf0feabb02335295.jpg

Show this to AAMCO
Screenshot_20220105-080723_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20200225_085456.jpg
    20200225_085456.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

captsb890

Reaction score
Yo Capts,
Unfortunately, AAMCO!

89 5.8 should have the C6. C6 has the Vacuum Modulator
89 5.0 should have AOD. TV Cables are used in AOD Transmissions.
In mid-1977 C-6 was converted to Dexron/Mercon fluid. Look at the dipstick, it will list the fluid or an M2C138-CJ specification, which is for Dexron/Mercon.

View attachment 29150
View attachment 29149

View attachment 29152

Show this to AAMCO
View attachment 29148
Thanks ever so much for your time---I' looking to put a new 351w in it as the modulator was adjusted as far as it can go idle vacuum 17 -- Has 202,000. Where is the valve body located --inside or alongside - and what does it do?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo CAPT,
VALVE BODY is inside transmission.
The main control valve body (7A100) directs fluid under pressure to the torque converter, band servo, clutches and governor to control the transmission's operation.

c6exp.gif

Juan2three

Reaction score
My C6 was overhauled by AAMCO--had it back many times and still shifts poorly------------When I stop and put it in L1 it takes off smoothly, at around 20 I manually shifts into 2nd and it is nice and smooth----then at around 30/35 shift it to D3 and it stumbles and sounds like engine breaking up, shakes--------------I took it to another transmission place and they checked the vacuum and it is 17 (has 202,000 miles with valves done at 135,000) and they adjusted the modulator---said that is the best they could do----still has the problem and if just taking off in D3 normal, it will hesitate and hangs there trying to shift into 3 and taking my foot off the pedal, a little bit helps but it shifts hard.
Seems to shift better when the transmission is cold but when it heats up it is very pronounced. They also adjusted the TV cable to get it to shift earlier---
It is running dextron fluid and when at first I asked AAMO about the fluid they said Dextron 2 in it then after going back he said dextron 5 in it ??-----Now would putting the 100% synthetic F 30 make a difference on shifting as it handles heat much better and is a heavier weight fluid and the molecules are smaller--??? Any suggestions?
I have a 1996 Bronco w/351W. I experienced the exact problem you are having. There is an electrical module under the dash that I believe is your problem. When you sit in the driver's seat it is located behind the lower panel below the steering column in front of your right knee position. The module is no longer available and the solution was to install a simple 12volt, fused jumper from a 12 volt source to a Green wire with a Yellow stripe that comes out of that module. I used to know what the module was but my senior memory fails me at this moment. I went out and verified on my Bronco what I am telling you. Let me know if this helps or if I can be of further help. Maybe you could find one in a junk yard.

OP
OP
C

captsb890

Reaction score
Are you talking about the ECM---about 3x6 and 1 inch thick---it's under the dash --drivers side---or is this something else?

Juan2three

Reaction score
Are you talking about the ECM---about 3x6 and 1 inch thick---it's under the dash --drivers side---or is this something else?
Sitting in the driver's seat, and in front of your right knee behind a panel is where the module I am referring to is located. I experienced exactly the problems described. The module had a problem and is no longer available. My issue was solved by installing a fused, 12 volt jumper to a GREEN wire with a yellow stripe. I do not know the name of the module. I am going by my recollection and looking under my dash at what the mechanic did to solve my problem.

Juan2three

Reaction score
Sitting in the driver's seat, and in front of your right knee behind a panel is where the module I am referring to is located. I experienced exactly the problems described. The module had a problem and is no longer available. My issue was solved by installing a fused, 12 volt jumper to a GREEN wire with a yellow stripe. I do not know the name of the module. I am going by my recollection and looking under my dash at what the mechanic did to solve my problem.
Yes, I believe the component was called and ECM.

Juan2three

Reaction score
I believe so. The wire is GREEN with a YELLOW stripe that was provided with a 12 volt, fused jumper.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo captsb890,
Your C6 doesn't have any interaction with the EEC IV, AKA ECA, COMPUTER, ETC.

JUAN has the E4OD which does interact with the EEC V.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar