building a 351w

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the green monster

Reaction score
hey guys..i did some financial rearranging and have about 2-3 grand to spend....i want to build my 351...i drive it daily but want it reliable and fast...idk if i should bore it or stroke it or offset grind my crank and bore it...im sure you all have good setups so i just want to know what parts...specs on those parts...what combinations of any parts..i just want it to be a bad@%#$ motor thatll get me thru some deep ruts...thanks in advance...and the 351w is out of a '94 bronco xlt

BLADE262US

Reaction score
I have a set of edelbrock aluminum heads new in box fully assembled with a set of harland sharp roller rockers also new that Im not too attached too if the right price was offered :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

oktogo

Reaction score
get a comp cam they are the best price and proformance i have one and its great i have a extreme off road with a ton of extra torque also get a intake system like k&n and bore it 30 over and the crank 10 over that will make it a nice little beast. aslo comp cam sell nice rollers and push rods for the 351.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Well the stuff new from summit is a around $1400 everything I have is new never used heads still in the box along with the rocker arms I bought it all along time ago with a project in mind which I ended up with a set of motorsport GT40-x heads so I used them instead . Id sell it all for $1200 shipped otherwise its all doing fine collecting dust lol . One thing to keep in mind with alot of people telling you to put a big cam in it is that a motor is a big air pump the cam just runs the valves if the runners and port size isnt big enough to let the air in or out the cam will do you absolutely no good . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
T

the green monster

Reaction score
alright well thank you guys for your help ill def. look into that cam and also pocket porting my heads..upgrading to bigger valves...roller rockers...offset grinding my stock crank and boring it .060 over to make a nice 383..would .060 over be safe and dependable?? if not whats the biggest i can bore it over?

bronco410w

Reaction score
alright well thank you guys for your help ill def. look into that cam and also pocket porting my heads..upgrading to bigger valves...roller rockers...offset grinding my stock crank and boring it .060 over to make a nice 383..would .060 over be safe and dependable?? if not whats the biggest i can bore it over?

boring it over does not make it a 383.... it will need to have a longer stroke... fyi...

just incase you didnt know.... :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hmmmmm 3.14 X 2.030 X 2.030 X 3.5 = 45.288691 X 8 = 362.309528 Thats how you figure out the displacement 3.14 times the bore squared in this case 2.030 stock would be 2 . The multiply that by the stroke and that will give you the displacement per cylinder then times that by 8 . In case you didnt know . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

rednck7736

rednck7736
Reaction score
hey guys..i did some financial rearranging and have about 2-3 grand to spend....i want to build my 351...i drive it daily but want it reliable and fast...idk if i should bore it or stroke it or offset grind my crank and bore it...im sure you all have good setups so i just want to know what parts...specs on those parts...what combinations of any parts..i just want it to be a bad@%#$ motor thatll get me thru some deep ruts...thanks in advance...and the 351w is out of a '94 bronco xlt

I just in the mast month rebuilt my m351 to a 427.It is relable and runs great.My GF drives its everyday.It is only bored 40 over so there is plenty of meat left if I want to build it again years down the road.You can buy a stroker 408 or 427 from Ford strokers.com.Both thers kits are999 each.They are good for 500 hp easy.That would leave you with a grand or 2 pending onyour budget.THe block work costed me about 300 with boring,notching hot tanking and replacing the cam bearing and freeze plugs.

If you want to planyi n deep ruts the motor will reve quick and have loads of torque.But you git to mate the gears to the tire size of the truck to fully use the power of any engine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23