bronco build

Is this a faux buggy or a modified Bronco?

• Shiut up and Wheel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
GO TO THE END TOO SEE CURRENT PICTURES OF FRONT CUT 10 INCHES and THE REAR CUT 20 INCHES and THE HARD TOP MADE INTO A HALF CAB

This is my pre winter build thread, I love too snow wheel in the San Berdu Mnts. I love too blog and try too help people on this site(clean out your tanks, filters and carb lol)Any who I have big plans and want too spend little dollars and am trying too make the most of the BigBlueBronco.

My first change is too narrow the front end, it started as a lop off the bumper corners and add some speed holes and ended up being a front narrowing. I will try too add pictures as I go!

Goals not in any order

1 narrow front end CHECK DONE

2 add 6-8 inches too extended hardtop for third seat(lets call it the bitch seat if you ride the scooters and such)IDEA SCRAPED CUT HARD TOP TOO HALF CAB (ALL MOST DONE)

3 add extended radius arms and push the front axle forward about 5-6 inches(gets the front tires just past body)but not the winch

4 add cage too fit all and keep all safe(WILL DO AFTER HALF CAB MOD)

5 either push the buggy springs back 4-5 inches or add 4 link and then add 6-7 inches trying too keep it on the cheap so cut and reweld a better option

6 narrow rear CHECK DONE

all of that will require new front and rear cross members and extended drive lines

I think the biggest cost will be the radius arms about400 and steel ? The rest is consumables wire gas cut and grind wheels

Would like too keep the build down too 1000. All the other junk is laying around the garage...

Would like too be about 100-105 inch wheelbase and lower truck and cut truck too keep CG low as possible and remove as much sprung weight as possible too

Did not get much done today as I started late and dont run the air compressor after the sons bed time, he sleeps close too and above the garage

I reserve the right too take 2 week or 2 years too finish this build LOL STARTED OCT 1 and GOTS LOTS DONE

BBB

bronco cam 071.jpg

bronco cam 070.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Ok got some work done front coresupport cut and welded, fenders pushed in and rebolted got the hood off and cut grill and tacked and mocked up and cut off the 80 pound bumper!

BBB

p_00076.jpg

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
ended up with 10 inches narrower and I went all out and recessed the winch in too the grill and will end up with 6+inches shorter in the front, gone are the 4, 6inch kcs crazy lights and bumper I havent used them in 1 1\2 years. The next day or so will be cutting the hood...

BBB

p_00077.jpg

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Well this is what it looks like now with the hood on! Time too flip it around in the garage and work on extending the rear axle and cutting up the rear.

The front narrowing of 10 inches cost 30 new winch plate harbour frieght and consumables (welding wire and gas cuting grinding wheels and paint tape)45 labor is free and enjoyable 70-80 usa dollars.

The mod is ugly but gets the job done. The rig was bent up and broken and the wheel wells were already cut out. I dont know the total benefit yet ( better visibility, visual looks,tire clearance, cheap mod, something too do?, scare the heeps off the trail?) I am trying too model the front and rear after a old ford hot rod but with big tires and lift and with a hard top. The 5/8ths top will need narrowing and extending (more fun metal work with sectioning that makes me think)

BBB

p_00080.jpg

p_00079.jpg

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
A few more pics of front and rear before! I will relocate the rear buggy springs 6 inch back on the frame and relocate axle on the springs by drilling out the perch one inch back and the hold downs..Hopefully I will get a full 7 inches.. The total goal is still 105 inch wheelbase. I read a couple threads that said tire size times three is a goo wheel base? 38 times 3 equals 114, I dont thing I can do that, but more wheelbase is always good with the big tires.

BBB

p_00083.jpg

p_00089.jpg

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
The rear body is now taken apart. All taped off ready too narrow the rear by 20 inches. Have fiqured about 200 of steel pounds departed the bronco.

Gave up on a three seater the cage and top and tanks and seat just wont all work with each other how I want.

Going too make a smaller top for more room in the bed for gear and cage and tanks maybe a bed cap too keep everything in the truck when bouncing around. Will cut her up tomorrow.

BBB.

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Got too busy with STUFF ! Here is a pic of cut and and it pushed in only 7 inches, some more cuts and a good push and it will be lookin sweet

tom cut bronco 005.jpg

tom cut bronco 004.jpg

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
I thought I was close on getting one side pulled in. The receased cuts are killing me and the fact that the bed has 100 layers of paint and some sort of bed liner junk too grind through so I can bird shit weld it back together. Iam gonna cut some support bars and mount before where the major bend will be, otherwise the door jams will pull back in too much.

Cutting was tough too used multible cut wheels and a reciprocating saw too get the closest cut with out too much grinding.

But I am havin loads of fun and thats what its all about. I will be happier on the trail though!

BBB

Appartenly this is just a build blog since 300 people looked at it and no cares too chime in with ideas or helpful suggestions.

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Found a windshield wiper switch out of an old ford today Kewl 5 bucks.I bet the bezel is worth 10 bucks. I always had it wired with a switch with wires dangling on the passenger side. Who knows if I will find the corect wires too attach too under the dash?! HAHA

I dug through the garage for parts and found a center console with cup holders yeha, will or could hold binoculars, maps, cb inside?

Anyway more fun and I bent the shifter so it does not bang the dash anymore. The first too 2nd shift in the np435 is still a foot, but I like the bends in the shifter and the twin sticks they are all close too the steering wheel, the front wheel drive stick rubs the right leg a little but it does not bug me.

I gave the rear bed rails a little primer so I could SEE the bend, I found 30 holes in each bed rail, I will call them speed holes.

This is a well worn has been rolled and leaned over Bronco so I dont care about the little stuff!

p_00098.jpg

p_00096.jpg

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
As you can see I mounted my old school gps on the dash!!! The compass will be located in the center console hahahhaa..

Works for me..Thats why I always end up leading, maybe thats why I should switch too flying instead of offroading I can read a map. I guess being a Eagle Scout only helps me.

Yes I can start a fire without a lighter or match... But why go out in the woods without one or not two lighters for safety.

BBB

p_00099.jpg

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Well got the rears cut and pulled together! Cant wait too try out the new 37 inch tailgate Vrse wow 58 inch. That will be fun. It will take a lot of leveling and aligning too make all work doors cab and such. I am going too put in a chuck of 2 by4 .120 too replace rear body support cause i have it in the garage already. Went too Sears too get some life time support on 4 rachets and came home with a new garage chair(that was onsale for 35 bucks) with my skill level written right on the chair ...LOL check pics haha

p_00105.jpg

p_00101.jpg

p_00104.jpg

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Thanks seabroc.

Well after measuring for the 100th time trying too get stuff strait, my 73 year old pops said you need lateral support on your cage(so his grandson wont die when we roll not if) and we redesigned the rearend. So now I will run prerunner type bars through the halfcab that cross before they hit the frame in the rear and bend down too the frame and weld too it and will hold the spare tire in the rear like a prerunner but sticking through the tailgate and the propane tanks under and forward. It is great I great I get a full size spare uuuuuuuufff 104 lbs but it is now my rear bumper too if any thing can hit 31 plus inches high bumper ahhaaahaaa maybe 29 inch bumper after I lower this rig agian. Hey I get too sell the tailgate and brackets to pay for weld wire, cut wheels, welding gas, and metal

BBB

Gonna look somethin like this

p_00106.jpg

p_00107.jpg

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
I should have sectioned the hard top like this before, it will go all the way back after I cut some old cage junk off. I can then make one cut across both sheet metal parts for a nice clean strait place too weld...

BBB

sectiontop 001.jpg

sectiontop 002.jpg

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
HAY BBB..,

I have a neighbor, whos company is coming here in about a week fr. So. Cal.

They "may" be able to fit that bulkhead in their car..if you still want it.

They live in the "Redlands" area & you could pick it up there, upon their return home.

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
HAY BBB..,

I have a neighbor, whos company is coming here in about a week fr. So. Cal.

They "may" be able to fit that bulkhead in their car..if you still want it.

They live in the "Redlands" area & you could pick it up there, upon their return home.
That would be great

Thanks

OP
OP
bigbluebronc

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
ohhh what has been done

1 rear top cut too fit still grinding paint and half inch of bondo(so i can stich in 10 feet of love too my bronco)

2 took rear axle housing too Currie too get fixed (way bent but doing good for a 35 year axle housing)

(only took an hour too take the whole mess apart and put it in the commuter car)

3 lost another 20 pounds with top cutting and the lift gate hinges and handles, springs and latches and covers and goodies I dont need(does others need them?) then welded the rear hatch shut

4 cant decide on plexy with the orig rubber or lexan screwed in $$$$ too the rear window lift top?????

5 gonna do the window before the cage additions, hopefully bully will send out a bulkhead for me with his parts train.(thanks bully)I can run parts sometimes from oc too riverside too laughlin nv. for anyone that needs it. and all of san bernardino. and crestline...

6 I need too give the shifters a little love with sheet metel so my leg dont cook anymore and we dont breath exhaust anymore LOL

toppers1 001.jpg

toppers1 002.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23