breaking push rods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

russ

I inherited a 1976 bronco.Before brother passed away, he said he kept bending push rods. It's a 302 and i took a compression test, and #5 cylinder was dead. I took the rocker covers off and found a broke push rod. It has roller rockers on it but I don't know what cam is in it. What is the easiest way to identify the cam and what i have? Also, with roller rockers, I assume that it is a **. How can I identify that and witch firing order should I use. I understand that there are two firing orders that can be used and that may be why he kept bending or breaking push rods. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
That's a tough one..,  I think the 1st  thing I would do is jot down the block #'s & show them to Ford parts counter clerk. If it's truly a performance trans-plant motor, that would tell you & also the year.

If it's the original 302 block..., it's possible the performance mods aren't compatible. Meaning the cam, lifters, pushrods, & roller-rockers.  I think some cams are stamped on the timing gear end. (would req. removal  of timing chain cover.)

I believe block #'s are above & to the right of the starter.  There's #'s on the intake manifold as well that might help.

It could be something simple.., like wrong length pushrods.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke