Brake Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mansquirt86

Reaction score
as we all know, broncos dont stop worth a damn. Im interested in upgrading the brakes on my 88 but found out that there are no upgraded rotors sold for 87-88 models. WHY? My question is, what do i need to do to get some better brakes on my bronco? Ive heard a lilttle about converting it over to a pre 87 front end or post 88? how hard a job is that and what do i need? Ive had too many close encounters with the rear end of other cars so hopefully you guys have some information on this.

thanks, Steve

thajuiceman

Reaction score
now don't quote me but i think i saw some brake pads in the www.broncograveyard.com shopping center. i only mention this because i also have a 88 bronco and was thinking the same thing (man those wet roads and bumpers don't mix) so check them out and if u do end up with an axle swap a 90 + might be in mind fo durability and longivity

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I think your problem with finding rotors may be due to the ******-style hubs on the 87/88 Broncos' front axle. In order to change the hub style you basically need a new entire front axle or everything from the spindle out. Things to consider would be a straight-axle swap if you intend to install a suspension lift, or replace the stock brake components more often to be sure they're in working order. if you're lucky enough to find a donor TTB axle with the normal hubs, then you can use better rotors, calipers and pads.

OP
OP
M

mansquirt86

Reaction score
so really what your tryin to say is im screwed? haha, i figured it would require an axle swap to get better brakes, oh well. Luckily for me, ive tracked down a donor bronco near where i live, i think im gonna replace everything from the knuckle out and see where that gets me.

wokamonster

Reaction score
Im having a problem throwing brake pads on my '90 fs, 2nd time in 6 months, Im trying to find out if I can swap to a heavy duty system like off an f-250/350, anyone ever hear or do that? I think I've been thowing cause of my large tires, the brakes never squeaked or ******* I replaced everything on them after the first time i lost one, and now it happened again

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
BREMBO has our 13" cross drilled rotors and calipers, but if you have a donor, you will come out cheaper.

Seabronc

Reaction score
There is rear disc brake conversion kit at Jeff's Bronco Graveyard (see page 41 in the 80 and up catalog which is downloadable in Adobe format). They also have an upgrade for front discs to add what they call Extreeme Duty brakes (page 40).

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
M

mansquirt86

Reaction score
yeah, ive seen several different companies that make the conversion kit for the rear. The front however is where most of the braking is done so thats what i was aiming for. oh well, guess its time to get dirty and do an axle swap. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ypu might note that I mentioned the extreem duty conversion for the front brakes is also in the caataloag. However, adding discs to the back will greatly improve breaking also. :)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK