body panel replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foul Al

Reaction score
thanks for reading! I am in the process of replacing the drivers side rear quarter panel on my 78 bronco. I have about 90% of it off but I am having decision issues with the portion that meets the door and attatches to the pillar beneath the cap. it sems that there is a ''tab'' that dives into the pillar and seems to be burried beneath a few other pieces of body panels. I am hoping that someone has done this before and is able to offor me some guidance as i attempt to finish the panel replacement. b.t.w. I have never done any body work before at all..... i do have spot weld removing bit and have made great progress with it! just need that last little push to get it finished up! thanks for any and all help!

Seabronc

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

Foul Al

Reaction score
Al, I think I know the area you are talking about. Take a look at my gallery for the 2009 - 2010 body work. I have some pictures there that may help. If you need more input on this I'll be glad to give more detail on getting the old panel completely off and out of the way. http://broncozone.com/uploads/gallery/1283742545/gallery_889_1024_360233.jpg

Good luck,

:)>-
Thank you Seabronc!

It seems that I am having issues with only one area and its the area behind the door on the pillar area where about 2'' of the old panel is sandwiched between 2 other panels and the spot welds are unreachable. I have removed the rest of the panel and I think i did well but i cant get to this spot as you were probably already aware..lol. I have attatched a pic. of where i am so far. Any tips or guidance on getting the last part of the original panel out and the new one in would be grrrrrreat!

body panel.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
Al, can you get a better picture of the area you are talking about. Is it the piece that is sandwiched in the weather strip edge between the roof panel and inner panel? Check out attached pictures

Good luck,

Quarter Panel Removal 003.jpg

Quarter Panel Removal 007.jpg

Quarter Panel Removal 008.jpg

Quarter Panel Removal 009.jpg

Quarter Panel Removal 010.jpg

OP
OP
F

Foul Al

Reaction score
Al, can you get a better picture of the area you are talking about. Is it the piece that is sandwiched in the weather strip edge between the roof panel and inner panel? Check out attached pictures

Good luck,

hey seabronc,

this is the area that i'm dealing with. its the tang part that i'm pointing to on the new panel.( upside down...) it also gets sandwiched between the uppur pillar and what looks to be a structural piece? I have cut as much of it away as i could but cant make room for the new tang or ****** to get into the sandwich spot. I was thinking of just measuring the new panel piece and bend it then epoxy it to the face of the structural piece that meets the ****** of the upper pillar piece.or just cut it out of the way and epoxy it? i dunno which way will be better for the finished product? here are some shots of where i'm at so far.

Thank you!

body panel 8.jpg

body panel 7.jpg

body panel 9.jpg

body panel 10.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
OK Al, I see which piece you are talking about. I never liked the seam between the 1/4 panel and the cab roof section so what I did was to overlap them by straitening out that tang and the one on the cab. I attached them with structural epoxy and blind rivets then used fiberglass body filer to smooth it out. Actually I used structural epoxy and blind rivets for the entire re-installation. Pictures attached.

I used Fusor 108 epoxy. A lot of body shops these days use structural epoxy instead of welds. I prefer it because welds are the biggest source of rust.

Good luck,

Rosies quarters 002a.jpg

Panel blend 007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23