Axle wrap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kosk0100

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i am new here and looking at getting an early bronco and i had a question. I test drove a 1973 Bronco with the 302 and three speed on the floor (converted from column), and when i tried to accelerate from a dead stop it shuddered like crazy. The owner siad the flywheel needed resurfacing, but we put the Bronco into 4wd and locked the front wheels and when we took off from a stop and there was absolutley no shudder. I am just trying to figure out if it is the flywheel thats the problem or if it is the rear leaf springs/suspension/axle wrap? And if it is, what do i need to do to fix it and if it is worth it? Thank you very much for your time.

Bronc76

Reaction score
Kos- welcome to the zone! the shudder sounds like maybe wore out or loose u-joints. have you checked the rear shaft for play?

OP
OP
K

kosk0100

Reaction score
Kos- welcome to the zone! the shudder sounds like maybe wore out or loose u-joints. have you checked the rear shaft for play?
No i didn't check the play, but i am just making sure you don't think the problem is involved in the flywheel/clutch/tranny because i don't want to deal with that? If the shaft has play and it is the u-joints, is that a tough/expensive fix?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bronc76

Reaction score
I would think that if it was the tranny you would have had the same problem in 4 wheel drive too. (just guessing) A rebuilt shaft isnt too bad, i had mine done for about $300. (also had it lengthened)

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i am new here and looking at getting an early bronco and i had a question. I test drove a 1973 Bronco with the 302 and three speed on the floor (converted from column), and when i tried to accelerate from a dead stop it shuddered like crazy. The owner siad the flywheel needed resurfacing, but we put the Bronco into 4wd and locked the front wheels and when we took off from a stop and there was absolutley no shudder. I am just trying to figure out if it is the flywheel thats the problem or if it is the rear leaf springs/suspension/axle wrap? And if it is, what do i need to do to fix it and if it is worth it? Thank you very much for your time.
Seriously doubt it's your rear springs etc., unless all the bolts are loose., & the spring bushings/shackles are shot.

------------research Josh's post as he suggested-------

Return with any new info. you find, & we'll work thru this..... B)

"i am just making sure you don't think the problem is involved in the flywheel/clutch/tranny"

BTW.., there's a very good chance the owner is correct.., in that the clutch is due for an up-grade.

"....what do i need to do to fix it..?"

None of these problems are HARD-HARD..., dirty, awkward., & a bit dangerous would be more accurate.

And not all that expensive when doing it yourself.

"...and if it is worth it"

Pretty much depends on what you pay for the vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gromero

Reaction score
Josh and Kosk0100, In searching ideas to conquer axle wrap, I came across this forum and had to relay my experiences to, hopefully, help out (and join the forum club).

My bronco has been in the family since 1976 (it's a '72). I have had this problem twice in the 30+ years we've had it. Both times were spaced far enough that I forgot the previous time, and trust me, I wont forget again. Both times, the problem was because the engine mounting bracket broke on the passenger side (same place both times. It's not easy to see but careful inspection and a bit of lifting the engine via jack will show it. Now that I have a 351W engine (hence I found the problem the 2nd time in the changeover and could have kicked myserl that I was living this way with it), I put the reinforded engine mounts (with a pin in the center for reinforcement), hopefully, I will never have the problem again!

Believe me, it doesn't sound logical but it was the cause for my chatter both times (and caused me to upgrade a whole clutch and assembly when I didn't need to, the 2nd time). What it does is just slightly misalign the clutch a bit and it chatters) Just check it, its not too difiicult (compare both sides) and who knows, you may be suprised!!!

Good luck!!!

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Seriously doubt it's your rear springs etc., unless all the bolts are loose., & the spring bushings/shackles are shot.------------research Josh's post as he suggested-------

Return with any new info. you find, & we'll work thru this..... B)

"i am just making sure you don't think the problem is involved in the flywheel/clutch/tranny"

BTW.., there's a very good chance the owner is correct.., in that the clutch is due for an up-grade.

"....what do i need to do to fix it..?"

None of these problems are HARD-HARD..., dirty, awkward., & a bit dangerous would be more accurate.

And not all that expensive when doing it yourself.

"...and if it is worth it"

Pretty much depends on what you pay for the vehicle.
If your a machanic pull the flywheel and have it resufaced and put in a new clutch plate and bearing and then slowly break in........

josh4892

Reaction score
I THINK MY BRONCO IS FINALLY FIXED!!!

after trying avery little thing known to man, and i mean everything, to fix the "bucking bronco syndrome",

all i needed was a heavy duty racing clutch, we put one in, i think it was like $500, it seems to have cured the problem, lets hope it stays that way

good luck to anyone else with this problem

BUCKY66

Reaction score
It may be all the things everyone is talking about. I have one other thing for you to consider. My bronco would do the same thing but only when I put it in reverse. In 2 wheel drive it shuttered so bad I thought it would fall apart but when I put it in 4wheel drive it did not do it. I found I had a broken motor mount that was the source of the problem. I figures that with 4wheel... the gearing was lower and everything turned slower and steadier so it didnot shutter. If that is the problem it is a cheep an easy fix if you have a way to lift the engine. let me know if you have already found your problem or if this helps. I believe it was the passenger side that was broke on mine.

See if the bronco does the same thing in reverse and in forward. If it only does it in forward and not reverse this may be your fix.

This next part will lift some eyebrows but:

I can not express enough the need for safety-

If you want to check if this is your problem. Lift the hood and make sure the ebrake and brake peddle are both held. have some one put it in gear and give it a small amount of gas peddle and see if one side of the engine raises a little at the mount. Look at both mounts in forward and then in reverse. If the engine lifts up, your problem is the broken mount. Hope this helps. This is dangerous if the truck moves forward. I can not take blame if you get hurt but do it if you are comfortable with it. BE CAREFUL AND KNOW YOUR CAPABILITIES AND LIMITS and chuck the wheels for added assurance.

I really thought mine would shudder all the bolts loose on my rig, even my hood would dance.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23