Auto shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burns

Reaction score
Anyone have an automatic with a tunnel mounted shifter? I'm interested in getting something like this. I know I'd need the shifter tunnel box, but does anyone have any pics? I want it to look good, but still function as it should. And would this turn an auto into a manual? I doubt it, but the description kind of makes me unsure.

Seabronc

Reaction score
No, you can't turn an auto into a manual by changing the shifter. It would be no different than a floor shifter in a car with auto transmission.

Good luck,

:)>-

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

I think you're looking and asking if you can have a floor shifter with the "shift thru da gears" ability?

If so, and $ is a factor, look @ B&M's series of C6 shifters for street/strip use;

"HOW TO OPERATE YOUR MAGNUM GRIP STREET BANDIT SHIFTER This example of the B&M Magnum Grip Street Bandit Shifter operation is for use with a three speed automatic transmission utilizing a forward pattern valve body only. A four speed gate plate pattern is similar and is included with this kit. First Gear: (Starting with the shifter in Park). To shift from Park to Low gear, squeeze the trigger to allow the release of Park lock, then pull the stick all the way back to Low. Second Gear: To shift from Low to Second, just push the stick forward, this gate is accessible without having to squeeze the trigger. Third Gear: To shift from Second to High gear, squeeze and hold the trigger firmly, then push the stick forward until it stops. Release the trigger and remove the pressure from the stick allowing the spring loaded selector pin to raise to the top of the gate opening. Neutral: To shift from High gear to Neutral, apply forward pressure to the stick then squeeze the trigger to the next gate. Reverse: To shift from Neutral to Reverse squeeze the trigger then push the stick forward to the next gate. Park: To shift from Reverse to Park squeeze the trigger then push the stick forward until it stops (without forcing it if used on Ford or Chrysler transmissions..."

btw, here is an Art Carr Gate Shifter & Valve Body pics in an 85 Source: by Chris C

Art Carr Gate Shifter Installation Instructions (Stock Pattern) Source: by artcarr.com

Here is a shifter in a 79 C6 by Pat P; he drags his Bronco a lot

If yo do this, consider a Rev Limiter too

& prob. a valve body, tranny cooler, etc.

have fun!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Still interested?

I found this in my draft WORD section and forgot to include it. That Art Carr unit may NOT have the neutral safety switch capability, which of course is dicey.

Some other shifters;

http://www.lokar.com/product-descriptions/...ns-shifters.htm

ATS60C6A Automatic Trans Shifter C-6 23"

ATS60C6B Automatic Trans Shifter C-6 16"

ATS60C6C Automatic Trans Shifter C-6 12"

ATS60C6D Automatic Trans Shifter C-6 10"

ATS60C6E Automatic Trans Shifter C-6 8"

ATS60C6F Automatic Trans Shifter C-6 6"

"...Join the car enthusiasts who have experienced Superior Craftsmanship with Lokar

OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
I really want a floor mounted shifter, prefferably one with the pull up safety so it locks when you put it in gear (in my case, d or 1) so it doesn't slide or get knocked from my knee into reverse or neutral just when I need it going full force. It just seemed that the way it was worded on JBG, that it would enable the user to shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and back as a manual would, but in an auto trans.

Thanks miesk5.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK