ATF IN ENGINE OIL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cav

Reaction score
Son bought a couple of quarts of what he "thought" was engine oil. Probably did'nt pay to much attention. I was talking to him when he opened one of the bottles of "oil". I noticed as he started to put it in that it was RED :(( I stoped him-but--a little got poured in the block. At most is was only a couple of oz's. Compared the unopened bottle to the open one. QUESTION. Should the oil and filter be changed before being driven. I drive about 10 miles a day to work and back, never above 35/40 mph. The oil and filter is only about 1000 miles old. (lose a little due to rear main leak). Thanks ahead of time

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
If you haven't started the engine, you can just drain the oil. The small amount of tranny fluid shouldn't hurt anything, ass I've used it to free up rusted piston rings on engines that have been sitting for a awhile. IF you burn a bit of oil, you might see some white smoke out of the exhaust as the tranny fluid is burned off. It's not near as bad as filling up the tank with gas on a diesel truck (Saw that happen the other day and caught it before the kid started the engine. JSM84

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
I'm with JSM, it shouldn't hurt anything. A couple ounces shouldn't make a difference.

Now as to this.....

ass I've used it to free up rusted piston rings on engines that have been sitting for a awhile.
Well JSM is on his own. :lol:

Rick in Orlando

broncotough

Reaction score
i dont want to admit this but... i put a quart of atf in the oil of a maxima i had. when i realized it was to late. i had no choice but to drive from orlando to sarasota. with a quart low in the tranny and a quart high in the engine. as soon as i arrived i changed the oil and filter. it did not give me an issue.

50joe

Reaction score
Son bought a couple of quarts of what he "thought" was engine oil. Probably did'nt pay to much attention. I was talking to him when he opened one of the bottles of "oil". I noticed as he started to put it in that it was RED :(( I stoped him-but--a little got poured in the block. At most is was only a couple of oz's. Compared the unopened bottle to the open one. QUESTION. Should the oil and filter be changed before being driven. I drive about 10 miles a day to work and back, never above 35/40 mph. The oil and filter is only about 1000 miles old. (lose a little due to rear main leak). Thanks ahead of time
Don't sweat it. Actually Thats and old trick to help desludge engines. Add one quart of atf and run it for an hour or so, then change the oil. Works rather well, and that little amount shouldn't bother a thing.

OP
OP
cav

cav

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better now. Guess I need to pay a little more attention. I poured the same amount from a different bottle and it came out at (+/_) 5 oz.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
If it's that small of an amount, i wouldn't be worried at all. I would use a quart of Lucas in place of a quart of your regular oil when you change it. There's also a good article on filters somewhere in the forum just in case you're usingFram and not MotorCraft on the Bronco. How much oil do you usually lose over 1000 miles of driving? One half to a quart is normal for a high-mileage engine, and the Lucas really helps in my rigs.

OP
OP
cav

cav

Reaction score
If it's that small of an amount, i wouldn't be worried at all. I would use a quart of Lucas in place of a quart of your regular oil when you change it. There's also a good article on filters somewhere in the forum just in case you're usingFram and not MotorCraft on the Bronco. How much oil do you usually lose over 1000 miles of driving? One half to a quart is normal for a high-mileage engine, and the Lucas really helps in my rigs.
The od says I have a little over 145,000 and I lose about a quart per 1000-but- I also have a rear main leak. About a quarter sized drop each morning.

You mention Lucas, any one kind? I see several differnt ones for differnt problems. Thanks

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Lucas Engine Oiltreatment, the one with a blue cap. I use it in the engine and axles, JSM84

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948