Another NO START problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
351w/Duraspark II/no EEC/Carb'd--->Hey guys, me again!  Im learning now, being a Bronco aficionado is like raising a child, but I digress.   So, now..the engine will not start, and by that i mean, the engine does not turn over and the starter does not engage when turning the key. In troubleshooting, I am getting power at the coil and associated wiring, with the key on, all interior and exterior lights and accessories work, and when I use my remote starter (key in run, +terminal of remote starter on the +battery and other lead of the remote starter to the "S" terminal of the solenoid/relay) i hit the button and it cranks up and runs as it should.  So, should i assume the problem is in the switch on the steering column, because im all out of ideas.  And if it is at the ignition switch, how do I check/remove/replace???

broncotough

Reaction score
Sounds like the switch. When you turn the key it slides a rod thru a set of circuits. Sometimes the rod wears or the switch becomes loose. I believe there is an adjustment that can be made to. But I'm not for sure about that. Had a similar problem with my 86, the rod inside the ignition under the column would not fully engage the starting circuit. I would have to push hard at the top of the steering wheel to get it to start.

Could be this or neutral safety switch/ clutch safety switch.

Be careful when jumping the solenoid. I had a truck start in gear. It crashed into a shop workbench. Set the brake.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
B-Co Kid

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
Before I had the B-Co, I had a 1980 Crown Victoria, 351w.  from the experience i gained working on that one, I learned that if you have a no start situation, and its an older model ford, 90% of the time the problem is the fender mounted solenoid/relay.  Not sure why i didnt go with my gut feeling, probably because of the unusable gut i have acquired since then, but the problem was..you guessed it..the solenoid/relay.  But from what ive known, when the solenoid/relay goes bad, it just makes a clicking noise when trying to start, but it didnt do that.  Oh well, problem solved!! now, back to the original problems i was working on.  Thanks for the suggestion bcotough..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23