ANOTHER 351C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
A guy dropped of a complete 351C to me today for free . Doesnt turn free but its a 1974 so the heads are worth anything but theres a chance the block is a four bolter . Have to tear it down . Hmmmmmm what to do with it now . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
OOOOOH OOOOOOH OOOOOOH PICK ME PICK ME, Hey I found that Q I was looking for. A 351C is a "Clevland" A 351W is a "Windsor" and a 351M is a what????? I know Iknow a "Modified". Heres the thing, I said "modified" in front of a guy I work with who has been racing Fords in the IMCA since Moses was a child. I recieved about an hours worth of lecture as to why they are not "modifieds" I forgot what he called them, and to be honest I'm kinda scert to ask him again!!!!!!!!! LOL I keep wanting to say he called them "Michigan" Named after their plant like the other two?????? Any light to shine on this???

After all the recent confussion on 351's, I want my 352 back!!!! By the way SCORE, We all need a friend like that!!

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
LOL you were right it does stand for modified when the emissions laws killed off the 351C in 74 and the FE series was coming to an end for the same reasons they needed a motor for there trucks and big cars that could pass emissions so they took the 351C into a room and abused it very badly a few months latter out came the abortion they called the 351M and its bigger brother the 400 M both made in the cleveland ohio ford engine plant which by the way Ive been by there fenced in yard and would love to be able to go in there and clean up for them . I really have nothing good to say about the 351M I have seen many many blown up lots of problems with the cranks , I know I know someone is going to have the super 351M that has a million miles on it and will still burn all 4 tires on the pavement well good for you your lucky to have it . I have only had one 400M and it was a pretty good runner but still I dont like em thats my opinion . The guy you were refering too must have read the stone tablet that story is written on after the tablet was broke in half LOL . As I was writing this I was also searching for that site and found this page . It does explain where he got the Michigan from but I would still go with modified because thats what it is a modified 351C . Anyway its a good read probably worth saving in your favorites . And no you cant have it its mine and Im goona be greedy LOL now what to do with it . Maybe Ill make it look like this one for my 99 ranger but make it EFI and put it in my 89 bronco . Hmmmmmm :D

http://www.projectbronco.com/History/histo...e_ford_351m.htm

351C_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The 351C is no good for offroad, since it doesn't have enough low-end torque... But it would make a great race engine, so I'll take it if you don't want it... And if you search through some really old threads, I posted a link to a Ford page defining the motor specs of the C,W,M motors. The "M" stands for just that, "M", not modified, Michigan, Moline or any word. And I als othink the 351M/400M are crappy motors. Just look at the engine specs, JSM84

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
That 351C in that pic is built for that ranger given the weight it should be fine not a race car by shape but I bet it goes like **** . I had one in a 1973 MACH 1 mustang thats the biggest mustang ford ever built 16ft long nose to tail that would flat out haul ass . This cleveland has a 3.5 inch stroke , 4.030 inch bore and the australian heads with quench chambers and small runners . I think your thinking of the 4 barrel version which is only for high RPM,s no low end grunt . Im pretty confident that this motor the way it is built with heads and cam selection will do just fine in a truck . And no you cant have it either Im being greedy LOL . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Did you see on ebay there selling aluminum heads for these 351C,M,400 for under $1000 fully assembled pr . Man Im getting ideas .

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
LOL, I know a racing dude here locally with a motor similar to yours, with the Aussie heads. Been trying to buy it from him for a couple of years, but no luck. It's sitting in a dirt track car, and I want to stuff it in a Ford Ranger, too.

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
If I cant have you'rs (EITHER ONE ?) Then I will continue planning on turning my 86 351W back into a real engine, sans computer gizmos, and putting that in my Bronc. Probably wont happen till next summer the way its looking, New carb is ordered for the Bronc so I will be able to drive it soon, TG because my DD 150 is nickle and diming me to death.

Thanks for helping to clear up some of the 351 stuff, You guys rock!

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
:(( AHHH SHIT just went out and tore that motor down and its junk #5 seems to have dropped an intake valve and beat the **** out of the piston then proceded to bust the cylinder . Shes no good but for some parts , Im sure the crank is good probably the rods , heads are junk block Im goona cry if its a 4 bolt main which being its junk it will be I didnt pull the pan once I saw that cylinder just called it good for the night . It was complete right down to the front accesories so there a bunch of good pieces OH well I guess . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
:unsure: That sucks!!! My 74 lost #1 that way in a 390. I'm sure its been reincarnated as a Honda by now. At least you got some goodies out of it.

broncobob58

Reaction score
It sure makes you want to cry just thinking about it being a 351c and not being able to rebuild it.I still have a 72 cleveland in my basement that I had since high school.I almost thought about scrapping it but thought about how rare the 351C is becoming.Anybody who wants it can pick it up for FREE I'm in southern connecticut.72 351C 2Barrel heads 2 bolt mains.I also never liked the 351m/400 motors .I would try to avoid buying a ford that had one.I reluctantly bought a 76 torino that had one just because of the condition of the car,I had a lot of problems with it around 68,000 miles and eventually dumped it and dropped a 69 351 windsor that I rebuilt into it.Everyone that I knew that had a M motor had trouble with it at or around 100k miles and in stock form they are the biggest dogs.The only thing good about them is that you don't have to change the tranny to drop a 460 in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23