air cleaner question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaindrive

Reaction score
is there any advantage to installing an after market open element type air cleaner? you know, the kind they sell at parts stores with the chrome top.

i'm wondering because my '86 bronco (351 4bbl) factory air cleaner has several air / vacuum lines going to it and also has a breather from the valve cover in it.

we don't have emissions testing here so that's not a consideration.

so, would it flow air better and make a noticeable difference or just a waste of money?

thanks.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Yep., It's hard to beat the factory air cleaner/filter. What you're look'n at (filter element with "plate" top-n-bottom) is basically the same W/O the good HD housing.

Some of those hoses are likely important. >:D< <'>

OP
OP
C

chaindrive

Reaction score
i'll stick with the factory air cleaner set up.

probably the best thing about it is that it uses colder air (more dense) with a ram air type effect being fed from the front of the truck rather than hotter air from under the hood.

now, about those vacuum lines :blink: .

seriously, some are not connected and the ones that are may not go to the right places. could this cause any problems or affect power / mileage?

Seabronc

Reaction score
now, about those vacuum lines :blink: .

seriously, some are not connected and the ones that are may not go to the right places. could this cause any problems or affect power / mileage?
Definitely will have an effect. There are some that you could do away with if you don't have emissions laws to deal with. However some are there to make the engine run more efficiently under various conditions. Attached is a vacuum diagram of a truck with the lines that I would suggest keeping.

It is for a 351 4BBL with dual gas tanks. Since you don't have dual gas tanks 1/2 of the purge system (at the bottom in black) is not included.

Even though the purge system is part of the emissions control system, it keeps your gas tank at the outside air pressure and prevents it from over expanding in hot weather. Plus it is designed to capture the tank fumes and dump them into the carb when you first start up rather than dumping them into the air. The advantage to you, small as it may be, is less wasted gas.

Good luck,

:)>-

Rosies Vacuum System.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23