Adjuster nut (brakes)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
So I went searching for a leak in my rear driver drum brake.

To remove the cover, you have to loosen the adjuster nut to get inside the drum. If not adjusted correctly, will this cause drag on the brake?? Reason I ask is because this last couple weeks, I'm getting horrible mpg (around 10mpg) but there doesn't seem to be any drag.

I'm not sure if it's the super cold weather. Below 0 at night and a few days in the singles or teens. If below 32 I'll idle the truck for 20min to warm up.

Is there a way to test feel? Lifting the truck, and adjusting the nut while spinning the tire. Or does that adjuster nut just keep the drum cover in place or works only with the e-brake??

Seabronc

Reaction score
I doubt that it is the brakes dragging, warming the truck up for 20 minutes will definitely eat into your mileage.

That thing is an automatic adjuster which adjusts the brakes when you back up and put on the brakes. You can move the adjuster with a ***** driver or better yet get an adjuster tool. Remove the little rubber plug on the inside of the brake housing (the part mounted on the axle. I do the initial setting by having both rear wheels off the ground with jack stands. Then I adjust until I feel a slight drag while turning the tire with the other hand. Once that is done I back up fairly fast and then hit the brakes a couple of times. If the adjuster is functioning properly it is supposed to automatically adjust as required when you back up an brake. Don't forget to put the rubber plug back in to keep moisture away from the adjuster.

When was the last time you had the rear drums off?

Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I don't have rubber boots back there. I'm in search of finding em. Didn't look too crummy inside there (after countless camp trips, and a few times stuck in mud up past the axle).

Good to know.. Brakes were last serviced a year ago by a dealer. I took em off due to a wheel cylinder leak.

nelbur

Reaction score
10 mpg is quite normal for a full sized Bronco around town. The secret to living with an old Bronco is to NEVER check the mileage. Broncos have loads of unsprung weight so getting the right shocks is tricky. My guess is that your shocks are too stiff.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I don't have rubber boots back there. I'm in search of finding em. Didn't look too crummy inside there (after countless camp trips, and a few times stuck in mud up past the axle).

Good to know.. Brakes were last serviced a year ago by a dealer. I took em off due to a wheel cylinder leak.
I guess we are not talking about the same thing and I can't visualize the part you are talking about. However, I still don't think it is a brake problem, most likely the long warm ups. If the dealer had it apart, I'm pretty confident it is adjusted properly.

:)>-

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Sorry, I ment plug. Not boot.

I didn't have the rubber plugs. And yeah I just used a ***** driver to turn the adjuster. This way I was able to remove the drum cover. I think I adjusted it right when I put it back together. But I was thinking the long warm ups eating into my gas too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948