'92 XLT Starting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

griff

Reaction score
Gas being what it is, I had siphoned from the Bronco into my daily driver. Put a few gallons back into the Bronco and it will start but quickly shut-off first try, won't turn over second try. Had been working well, but haven't been driving it for a year with the prices so high. I would assume something in the fuel distribution, but wanted any opinions on whether or not the siphoning affected it and the amount of fuel needed in the tank to give it a go. Thanks.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably get a fuel pressure gauge and check pressure. In tank fuel pumps tend to stick when they sit for a long time. Especially when gasoline with ethanol is used.

Can you hear the pump run when you turn the key on?

OP
OP
griff

griff

Reaction score
Thx for responding. Starter engages, new battery. Has to be a fuel issue somewhere in the supply line but siphoning being the last thing I did had me thinking it could have affected something. Fuel filter, pump is what I'm going to investigate.

OP
OP
griff

griff

Reaction score
Probably get a fuel pressure gauge and check pressure. In tank fuel pumps tend to stick when they sit for a long time. Especially when gasoline with ethanol is used.

Can you hear the pump run when you turn the key on?
Hi Tiha. Will check that thanks for the suggestion. Sound like it runs (pump) but it could be an initial act that conks out too.

The Bronco has run so well since 2019. That was the year I retired and drove it to Virginia from the west coast. Later, drove it Illinois running smooth as can be.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
My son has a 94 and it can sit a year or two at a time. Just fired it up the other night. Kind of weird, it was out of gas, but even after adding gas it didn't want to bleed the air out of the rail on it's own.

So I would cycle the key a couple times, then go press the core on the shrader valve. It would shoot some fuel and a lot of air. After doing that 3 times it fired right up. Cleared up and ran just fine.

for whatever reason, just cycling the key or cranking didn't want to push fresh fuel to the rail.

So if you think the pump is running, you might try that. Press the core in, see what comes out. Bleed the system that way.

OP
OP
griff

griff

Reaction score
My son has a 94 and it can sit a year or two at a time. Just fired it up the other night. Kind of weird, it was out of gas, but even after adding gas it didn't want to bleed the air out of the rail on it's own.

So I would cycle the key a couple times, then go press the core on the shrader valve. It would shoot some fuel and a lot of air. After doing that 3 times it fired right up. Cleared up and ran just fine.

for whatever reason, just cycling the key or cranking didn't want to push fresh fuel to the rail.

So if you think the pump is running, you might try that. Press the core in, see what comes out. Bleed the system that way.
Hi Tiha,

I bled the system through the Schrader valve. Started right up, just turned the ignition and didn't even need to give it any gas. Ran her for 5 minutes. Thanks for your help, saved me all kinds of time & headaches!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke