90 rear tailgate glass removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mad-dawg

Reaction score
need some advise as how to remove glass without breaking it to fix hardware and rollers for window, arm is broke on mechinism.

89Bronco58

Reaction score
theres 2 nuts on each side of the glass, im nit sure what size, 10mm maybe, so loosen all 4 of them and push the glass down slightly and pull the arms up to detach it, now CAREFULLY slide the glass out of the tailgate, when i did mine i pulled the trim off the end of the tailgate for more room...GOOD LUCK

Seabronc

Reaction score
theres 2 nuts on each side of the glass, im nit sure what size, 10mm maybe, so loosen all 4 of them and push the glass down slightly and pull the arms up to detach it, now CAREFULLY slide the glass out of the tailgate, when i did mine i pulled the trim off the end of the tailgate for more room...GOOD LUCK
32547[/snapback]

You need to remove the end seals, 1 ***** each and the weather stripping. Put it up about 1/2 way before unbolting it from the regulator arms. That makes it easier to get at the nuts and I believe 89Bronco is right about the size of the nuts. Try soaking them with PB Blaster for a while before you attempt to unbolt them, if they are rusted stuck, they may snap the stud. It only takes about 1/2 hour max.

Be careful removing the weather stripping or you will bend it up. No problem though, new stripping is not too expensive.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

mad-dawg

Reaction score
thanks guys!! one of my plastic square guides on the end of the regulator arm,was completely gone. tapped and threaded end of arm and made round bushing for track. and yes one of my retaining studs broke,replaced all 4 with 5/16 short bolts. installed glass back in track. waiting for parts to rebuild motor. close on size of nuts mine was an 11mm on regulator assembly and 7/16 on the tracks. couldn't of done it without the help!!!! thanks :)>-

OP
OP
M

mad-dawg

Reaction score
good news bad news!!! motor good!!! start checking wiring kinda of slow methotical work. any specific places to look for broken wires? i have juice to one side of the lead at the motor?

Seabronc

Reaction score
good news bad news!!! motor good!!! start checking wiring kinda of slow methotical work. any specific places to look for broken wires? i have juice to one side of the lead at the motor?
32660[/snapback]

Most common problem is the safety switch in the left hand latch. If that is it, most people bypass it.

Diagram of circuit attached

good luck,

:)>-

Tailgate_motor_control.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke