89 Bronko, Fried Fuel Pump Relay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ratmrage

Reaction score
I hope some one can help with this. I have a 1989 bronko, 302 engine. The fuel pump relay has fried twice. After I replace the relay it seems everthing is fine. But after running for a while the fuel pumps do not shut down even if the key is out of the ignition!!! This fries the relay again.

Gunner

Reaction score
ok first help is it is spelled bronCo. j/k now it sounds like a simple bad fuel pump. hopefully for you it is the exterior fuel pump and not the in tank. i took the outside fuel tank off and put an aftermarket fuel pump that attaches to the frame and not the tank. i got a couple of extra MPG's out of it to.

OP
OP
R

ratmrage

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I need the help. How can the fuel pump still be on if the engine shut off and the ignition is off and the key is in my pocket?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The contacts in the relay are welding together due to the excesive amp draw due to a fuel pump going bad . If you have access to a dc amp clamp you can check the amp draw on both with it running and the one that is very high will be the one you have to replace . Hope this helps also a very clogged fuel filter will cause the amp draw to go way up because the pump has to work alot harder to force the fuel through the filter . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Gunner

Reaction score
yes yes yes blade is good that is what is happening if it is a bad fuel pump it is because you leads have siezed together and now you are always drawing power to it. get your self a new filter and it should fix the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23