89 BII manual to Auto Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkydmech

Reaction score
I'm new here so if I missed some search info on a tranny swap from man to suto, do excuse me and please site the references. If there aren't any then this is what I'm trying to do.

I have a 1989 Bornco II , 5 speed manual floor shift, 2.9L. The flywheel just went out and before I get into it, I've been wondering what it would take to replace the manual with a auto tranny. No doubt this will be a junk yard assist project but could it be as easy as just installing the auto & torque converter assembly inplace of the manual & clutch assembly? Surely Ford didn't make different size transfer case for the man and auto. Presently I have the 5 spd on the floor and realize that I will need to get the auto version of the floor shift and I'll have to do some electrical work. But right now I'm mainly interested in the mechanical dimensions of the manual and auto tranny. Seems to me that someone must have done this already.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
You can find a ton of info on Ranger pick-ups and Bronco II's at www.therangerstation.com

As far as swapping to an auto tranny, you're rather limited on options. I would suggest a C-6, but it does not have OD. The AOD does, it's shorter and may fit easier, really cheap at a salvage yard because they are prone to breakdown. For reliabilty, I would stay with a manual, but replace the current one if it has alot of problems. TRS has some good info on what trannies are good, and which are not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK