89 B2 temp gauge not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony G.

Reaction score
I've replaced the sending unit, gauge still reads "negative " temp, probably have a short, just asking to see if someone else has had this happen, what you did to remedy it before I start tracing all the wires

broncojohnny

Reaction score
I've got the same year, same problem. I swear I saw a post addressing this but didn't bookmark it. Something about testing each individual post on the sending unit. You might search this forum and find it. I'll let you know if I do.

OP
OP
T

Tony G.

Reaction score
Appreciate the reply, I'm gonna trace the wires to see what I can come up with. I actually got into the dash, replaced all the instrument lights to LEDs and cleaned the post to the temp gauge, as I was putting it back in I set the temp gauge all the way to "hot", when I turned the key on, it immediately went back down to normal display, I think that means the gauge is working, I think. If I can't come up with something I'm just gonna put a mechanical gauge in it. My B2 is a low mileage one with an OHV 4.0 engine in it, it's kinda a "hobby " to me and I enjoy working on it, but it is a 31 year old vehicle with 31 year old problems, lol. I'll update when I resolve my problem and thanks again for your time 👍

Big_Dad_Energy_83

Reaction score
88 b2 owner. My temp guage in the dash does not work. Are replacement sensors or parts available anywhere? Otherwise seems like ill a have to run the tests above or install a separate heat guage.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Appreciate the reply, I'm gonna trace the wires to see what I can come up with. I actually got into the dash, replaced all the instrument lights to LEDs and cleaned the post to the temp gauge, as I was putting it back in I set the temp gauge all the way to "hot", when I turned the key on, it immediately went back down to normal display, I think that means the gauge is working, I think. If I can't come up with something I'm just gonna put a mechanical gauge in it. My B2 is a low mileage one with an OHV 4.0 engine in it, it's kinda a "hobby " to me and I enjoy working on it, but it is a 31 year old vehicle with 31 year old problems, lol. I'll update when I resolve my problem and thanks again for your time 👍I read some place. That when you replace regular bulbs with LED . Their is something you have to replace and when people did what you did. Problems started happening. It could be the led replacement.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke