87 b2 engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pattygook

Reaction score
hey,

I've been reading a lot of info on 302 engine swaps, but the engine I really want in my b2 is a Fod I6 300 cid. Does anyone know if anyone has done this before or if it would be difficult / costly. I could probably get a donor '85 ish F150 pretty easy and cheap.

Thanks in advance

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Anything can be done but that motor is kinda long and space is very tight with a 302 . I dont think youd be able to have the radiator or anything like that up front . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
P

pattygook

Reaction score
Not even in the space in the grille up front? Do you think I could fit a smaller radiator in the grille and use a Black Magic electric fan?

But yeah, that is one long motor, and heavy too... I was kinda worried about that. I figured I would have to do some serious mods just to barely fit it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yardape

Reaction score
That is an interesting swap idea, but in my opinionation it really isn't worth the work you will have to do for the amount of power you will receive. If your idea is to make a decent amount of power but still be good on fuel than this isnt for you. The 300 uses the same size pistons as a 460. And really isnt all that great on fuel. You would be much farther ahead swapping in a 302 or squeezing a 351. I have seen many 302's in B2's and they are nothing less than awesome. They should have come that way from Ford.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The 300 is a minimum 9 inches longer than a 351W/302 . When I had the 351W in my bronco 2 I tucked the radiator up in that space your talking about and had the black magic fan right tight to that . Left me with just under 2 inches from the fan to the water pump nub so I am going to say that without MAJOR and very ugly mods to the front it will not feesibly fit . Hows that ? LOL :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
P

pattygook

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys, but it looks like I won't try that engine swap, although I've got a '71 302 in my back yard laying around with no use, so... I guess I could throw that one in for a project.